Alternative to Wort Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SankePankey

Reaction score
I was wondering if this procedure would be a good method for putting the right amount of oxygen back into the wort in stead of using a diffusion stone (which is just something else to clean).

I ferment in a Sanke keg. What if I pumped oxygen in, replacing most of the air, before filling the fermenter and then fill it so it splashes around in the more oxygenated environment. Then just pitch the starter right on top of that? Would that suffice for good aeration. Would the higher oxygen environment be bad for the starter in any way?

It seems as though there is the 'right amount' of oxygenation, so I don't know if you could get it right. And I know the big breweries use in line aeration for the most part.

Any thoughts?

My guess is you will have minimal benefits from filling your fermenter with O2 first over just having regular air in there. Considering the cost of an O2 tank, I think just giving it a good shake when adding the yeast will do just fine. (This is what I do and have never had a problem). Then again, you won't hurt anything by doing it, so if you have the equipment, why not try and see and post your results.

Good luck!

Back