Secondary in plastic milk jugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tabasco

Reaction score
I'm making Czech Pils and was wondering if one gallon milk jugs were a viable alternative for secondary.

The primary is just about done in a cold room about 40 degrees.

There would be little air space in milk jugs but would O2 permeate the plastic?

Any other reasons not to use multiple containers for secondary? Would multiple, airtight glass containers be okay?

Mucho gracias!! :mug:

I wouldn't use milk jugs, the plastic is so thin that I think you'd ruin your beer very quickly.

Little known fact: when your milk goes bad after a few weeks, it's actually due to the oxygen permeability of the plastic bottles.

Okay, not really. Still, why milk jugs? Even a 2-liter soda bottle would be better.

Thanks to all for all the info.

I was asking because it's what I had on hand and finances tight, as usual.

I'll go ahead and order a second carboy. Based on what I've read, it shouldn't hurt the beer to stay in the primary for another week, especially at the low temp.

You could easily not secondary this beer at all, unless you just desperately need to free up your fermenter. Many people here don't use secondaries at all, and just primary for a month or so. I do that on some batches, especially darker beers that don't need to be crystal clear for presentation.

Back