Most Awful Beer Ever Award

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddyBeard

Reaction score
Taking votes for the worse beer you can remember ever tasting. My vote is for Bud Light Lime. Tastes like a bartender pour out a couple ounces of Bud Light and filled it back up with sour mix. Truly terrible.

My last homebrew porter. Away from home. Electricity went out. Wife changed temp back in ferm chamber. Never told me. Tasted it and almost got sick.

Wife says "You always say ferm temp is important. I have something to tell you." Electricity was out for 10 hours. When she looked at beer therm strip didnt register a temp.

Beer probably fermemted in the 80 range for several hours.

Rogue Voodoo Doughnuts Bacon Maple Ale. Sure, BLL sucks but there are lots of people who drink it. I've only heard of a handful of people who could finish a bottle of Voodoo, and I've never heard of anybody who drank one and then intentionally bought another.

Bud Light.

Didn't think so in my 20's, but... Bud Light is the worse beer I've ever tasted.

2nd worse... Coors

3rd worse... Miller

If I drink a beer that has an extremely nasty taste to it, I figure at least there is some substance to that beer... at least there is something to taste. Can't really say that with numbers 1, 2, or 3 on my list.

Sad really. They are/were American companies. And I believe we can do better than that.

Ahh My first batch from a old mr beer kit. Tasted like a banana flavored cider, no alcohol to speak of. But I drank it anyway. For some reason I took this as a challenge and have been trying to make good beer ever since. Still working at it.....

Rogue Voodoo Doughnuts Bacon Maple Ale. Sure, BLL sucks but there are lots of people who drink it. I've only heard of a handful of people who could finish a bottle of Voodoo, and I've never heard of anybody who drank one and then intentionally bought another.
Agreed. We split the bottle between 10 people and couldn't finish it.

The Flying Dog Zero IBU IPA is by far the worst beer I have ever had. I have three of them left if anyone wants one.

I think it's kind of unfair to classify BLL as a beer. It's certainly no more beer than Zima was and that was horrendous. For me it might be Milwaukees Best. We called it "the beast". I still can't stomach it, not out of irony or curiosity should it be drank.

Damn, now I have to go buy a Bud Light Lime just to see how bad it really is.

We used to get kegs of "The Beast" for under $40 in college, but we were broke and that's what we could afford. I stomached it out of necessity, but my grandparents still drink it out of choice. I always ask how they drink that crap and they tell me it has great flavor. This is coming from the same people that put bum wine in a nice decanter for guests so they don't know what they are drinking. Gotta love em though

I completely disagree about the BMC beers. Yeah, there's not much to taste there. But I'll take something I can pound down at a BBQ without having to think about it over something I take a sip and want to dump it down the drain.

I'm right up there with folks saying Voodoo Maple Bacon Nasty Monstrosity. After that beer it should have been made illegal for Rogue and Voodoo to work together.

Other nominations:

-Anderson Valley Summer Solstice. I tried this for the first time the other day. Luckily it was a club event and other folks seemed to like it, or it would have gone down the drain.
-Pumpkin beer. Any of them. All of them. Yeah, I said it.
-Steel Reserve. I'm not much for malt liquor, but that stuff tastes like rotten barley and solvent, and is little more than hangover fuel.
-St. Louis Premium Framboise. I can stomach the Lindeman's fake Lambics and enjoy them. This one was awful. Cloying imitation raspberry cough syrup.
-Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Cranberry Lambic. Both drain pours.
-Victory Golden Monkey. People love it. I thought it tasted like rubbing alcohol.

Voodoo Doughnut is only fit for hand to hand combat. Why Rogue continues to brew it is beyond me. They must be sadists.

Ghostface Killah comes in a close second. Undrinkable for the heat level.

I know it's not just me, but I hate sours. Sours scream of infection to me and I just can't appreciate the style for what it is.

I've still got some of my 2nd batch in the fridge, clinging to the pipe dream that enough time will make it drinkable (it's an IPA).
I wish I still had my first batch (a stout 14 years ago) to see what it'd taste like now. bwahahaha!!!

I completely disagree about the BMC beers. Yeah, there's not much to taste there. But I'll take something I can pound down at a BBQ without having to think about it over something I take a sip and want to dump it down the drain.

I'm right up there with folks saying Voodoo Maple Bacon Nasty Monstrosity. After that beer it should have been made illegal for Rogue and Voodoo to work together.

Other nominations:

-Anderson Valley Summer Solstice. I tried this for the first time the other day. Luckily it was a club event and other folks seemed to like it, or it would have gone down the drain.
-Pumpkin beer. Any of them. All of them. Yeah, I said it.
-Steel Reserve. I'm not much for malt liquor, but that stuff tastes like rotten barley and solvent, and is little more than hangover fuel.
-St. Louis Premium Framboise. I can stomach the Lindeman's fake Lambics and enjoy them. This one was awful. Cloying imitation raspberry cough syrup.
-Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Cranberry Lambic. Both drain pours.

-Victory Golden Monkey. People love it. I thought it tasted like rubbing alcohol.
first bold statement: the same for me but with PBR. other bold statements, I agree. anything not bold I haven't had.

Ghostface Killah comes in a close second. Undrinkable for the heat level.

I quite enjoyed that beer, but then again I threw a bunch of peppers at high levels into a smoked porter, up to and including ghost chilis. Although I can see where you're coming from. But then again, you don't drink something brewed with ghost chilis without expecting a stupid level of heat.

Now when you eat to much spice we know what happens to the backend, does drinking the spice bring the effect forward?

Billy-Klubb said:
I wish I still had my first batch (a stout 14 years ago) to see what it'd taste like now. bwahahaha!!!

I think I'm going to go pour me one of those old beers. I haven't tried one in about 2 months. Odds that its any closer to drinkable?

LLBeanJ said:
Sam Adams cranberry wheat or some such nonsense. It's the only beer I've ever really struggled to finish.

Agreed, and I think it's the cherry wheat

Watermelon on Wheat from Vermont Pub and Brewery. I'll be honest it was abysmal. Followed closely by Redd's Apple Ale. i shudder just thinking about that one.

I can't say a worst beer ever but I can come up with a "most disappointing". Every year I bring it home hoping they finally fixed it. Every year it ends up one beer drank, five beers offered to guests.

Sam Adams Octoberfest. I love the Marzon/Otoberfest style as long as it does not include fruits and veggies but this one is so disappointing every year. There are no redeeming qualities to this beer.

To cleanse the palate... I buy a 6'er of Spaten Octoberfest at the same time. It pretty much never disappoints.

Yes...I have had beers I would never pay for and some that I would not finish...but none that I want so bad to be good...and it never is.

Billy-Klubb said:
my Tragic Hateball said, "Outlook not good". then it open hand slapped me. it is a hateball. so, how is it?

Not as bad as I remember but not real good, either. It's a pretty beer, though.

image-2011409349.jpg

Ill add another for Bud Light Lime.

Westbrook Gose might have to be a second. It has a 94 on BA and everyone raves about it, I just hate the style.

Any type of malt beverage is also foul.

flipfloptan said:
My last homebrew porter. Away from home. Electricity went out. Wife changed temp back in ferm chamber. Never told me. Tasted it and almost got sick.

Wife says "You always say ferm temp is important. I have something to tell you." Electricity was out for 10 hours. When she looked at beer therm strip didnt register a temp.

Beer probably fermemted in the 80 range for several hours.

I recently experienced almost the same scenario you describe, with a Porter in fact. I threw caution the the wind and bottled this weekend anyways, hoping something magical is going to happen over the next month or two during the conditioning period. Unfortunately I think I have two cases of liquid crap waiting to be dumped. Time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Maybe this Rosemary Imperial Pale Ale I had...so overwhelming on the rosemary it was stomach churning. Me and my drinking buddy each bought a 4 pack and made a game of tricking our friends into to drinking them

Jacobs Best Ice. I was in a fraternity at Penn State. We would go through so much beer for parties that we bought by the pallet. One year the guy in charge of beer bought this stuff for under $6/case. It was so bad people would take a sip and throw it out. We had to start giving out Natty or Beast Ice early in teh party then this stuff late.

Back