Brazilian "Malzbier" recipe to homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougieb

Reaction score
My wife is from Brazil and I would like to surprise her with her favorite beer, a Malzbier. In Brazil, the two most famous brands are Antarctica and Brahma. (She prefers the Antarctica.) The Brazilian Malzbier is similar to the German Malzbier but the Brazilian has approximately 3.5% to 4% alcohol. (The German varieties are basically non-alcoholic as I understand it.)

I would GREATLY appreciate any info/help in this area. I am relatively new to the home brew world but am not afraid to try. I know she would appreciate.

I would even buy it for her but I do not think it is imported into the US.

Thanks,
Dougieb

That's a schwarzbier I think. A black lager. But comes with a twist:

Cervejaria Antarctica’s great tradition launched in 1935 this beer comprised of sweet aroma and flavor and smooth bitterness. Antarctica Malzbier has a manufacturing process different from Pilsen style beer. During the brewing process, caramel syrup is added ensuring the differentiated flavor, color and aroma of the product. (AmBev - Companhia de Bebidas das Américas)

A lot of breweries list ingredients used which can then be put into a calculator to get the right ABV/SRM/IBU. This brewery lists the ingredients as:

"Water, malt, non-malted cereals, carbohydrates, hops, roasted malt and caramel."

Not real helpful. Thank god they reminded us of the water. Maybe start with a schwarzbier (theres one in my signature) and toy with the carmel syrup...say a pound...at 20 mins left in boil? The non-malted cerals would be...flaked barley?

Thanks, VTBrewer. I appreciate the suggestions.

Malzbier is a very SWEET beer. ( I think that is why she likes it.) It is similar to Xingu but even sweeter if you can believe that.

Anyone else have anything?

Here's a little poorly translated info on the German Malzbier which sounds very similar, but with less alcohol. There are also a few reviews of Antarctica at Beer Advocate. And a mailing list message with a little info.

Maybe somebody here could piece together a recipe based on that info? It almost sounds like you basically make the wort, minimally ferment it at very low temperature, then add coloring, sugar, and CO2. Would it be necessary to kill the yeast? Or would the temp and high sugar level take care of that?

Hi, heres one i found for you here on our Orkut pages here in sao paulo , I dont know if its good, if you cant understand portuguese maybe your wife can translate the text for you o.k. Blas
20 litros de água

4 Kg de pilsen
0,6Kg de Vienna
0,5 Kg de carafa ( aqui talves valesse a pena colocar menos pois dá um gosto de torrado que não combina com a cerveja)
0,5 Kg de aveia
0,350 Kg de lactose
Lupulo usei 30 gramas 15 de cada amargor e aroma 60 minutos e 15 minutos
Fermento usei o Nothingan
Não tenho os dados de OG , FG e brassagem ., só me lembro que fermentei por 14 dias no primário , 7 dias no secundário e 3 dias na geladeira depois engarrafei algumas com 8 gr de Karo por garrafa de 500ml , a outra parte coloquei em um post mix consumido em um churrasco . Fazia uma espuma que dava gosto . Um abraço a todos Blas

Thank you everyone!
I am going to get my wife to translate that recipe and see how it reads.
I will post it back here for further comments.

Thanks again.

Hi, heres one i found for you here on our Orkut pages here in sao paulo , I dont know if its good, if you cant understand portuguese maybe your wife can translate the text for you o.k. Blas
20 litros de água

4 Kg de pilsen
0,6Kg de Vienna
0,5 Kg de carafa ( aqui talves valesse a pena colocar menos pois dá um gosto de torrado que não combina com a cerveja)
0,5 Kg de aveia
0,350 Kg de lactose
Lupulo usei 30 gramas 15 de cada amargor e aroma 60 minutos e 15 minutos
Fermento usei o Nothingan
Não tenho os dados de OG , FG e brassagem ., só me lembro que fermentei por 14 dias no primário , 7 dias no secundário e 3 dias na geladeira depois engarrafei algumas com 8 gr de Karo por garrafa de 500ml , a outra parte coloquei em um post mix consumido em um churrasco . Fazia uma espuma que dava gosto . Um abraço a todos Blas

Since it is a surprise... we should translate it with Google:

20 liters of water

4 kg of Pilsen
0.6 Kg of Vienna
0.5 kg of carafa (Perhaps here actually worth less because it gives a place like that not combines roasted with beer)
0.5 kg of oats
0.350 kg of lactose
Hops used 15 to 30 grams each bitterness and aroma 60 minutes and 15 minutes
Yeast used the Nothingan
I have data from GL, and FG brassage., I remember it ferment for 14 days in primary, secondary and 7 days in 3 days in the refrigerator after a few bottle of Karo with 8 gr per bottle of 500ml, the other part put in a post-mix used in a barbecue. It was a foam that was like. A hug to all B

Weird but understandable translation

I have just about finished the recipe. I have one question for anyone..... The original recipe calls for 8 grams of Karo per 500ml of beer to carbonate and add the sweet flavor to the beer. For 5 gal (I rounded to 19 liters) that would be 304gr or 10.723 oz of Karo. I know that yeast will not "consume" all of the Karo and therefore leave behind a sweet flavor.

Is 10.723 oz enough to properly carbonate the batch?
I am hoping for the right effect of flavor/carbonation.

What does everyone think?

yeah its kind of like black treacle watered down with lemonade with a bit of hop aroma and alcohol .The general concencus here seems to be make any base ale out of pilsen malt, add caramel to give color and malty aroma in the boil i guess then invert sugar for the sweetness interupting the fermentation by pasteurizing, to leave a sickening sweetness sure to give you a head ache after the second glass, and the desired level of gas ( abit tricky I suspect, would do some test bottles first) very mildly hopped
heres another link if you care to follow preta2
cheers, ou Saude !

Hi, I may be wrong but I cant help thinking that Karo is inverted sugar, like our treacle ou golden syrup which I think will ferment lots leaving little sweetness and maybe a danger of bottle grenades someone who knows better will chime in but I think Pastuerise or lactose .cheers

Thanks again (obrigado), iasquith.

I went ahead with the recipe you were kind enough to give me earlier. It is happily in the primary fermenter. The OG turned out to be 1.055 so I think I am OK so far. I guess that my only question left is for the priming sugar.

The local brew store seems to think that Karo will be fine. (Not all of the sugars will be eaten by the yeast and a sweet flavor will be left.) But if anyone has any better info please let me know.

Thanks to all.

yeah I would go ahead with the Karo then I hope it meets with your wifes approval and
'mata um pouco da saudade ' she will know what I mean cheers let me know how it turns out
current companian beers for an Englishman living in the tropics:
IPA, boddingtons (orfy's clone of course) brown ale , stout .

I tried Brahma once here and didn't really care for it too much. Really not worth the price for that taste. But that was just one six pack I had.

Here is the recipe I came up with. I am interested in comments and suggestions.

Brazilian Malzbier

.5kg Carafa 2
.5kg Flaked Oats
.6kg Viena Malt
Rice hulls to keep things from getting all gummed up

2lbs/900g Bries Dried Malt Extract
12 oz/350g Lactose
3.3lbs/1.5kg Briess CBW Pilsen Light Malt Extract
1oz German Hallertau Alphe Hops
1/2oz German Hallertau Alpha Hops (last 15 minutes of boil)
1tsp Irish Moss

310gr Karo (for priming)

OG 1.055
FG 1.018 (I may have pulled it from my primary to the secondary too soon. grrr)

The color (solid black) and taste are right on according to my wife. The only two questions are:

1) Will it be sweet enough (This needs to be Coke Cola/Sweet Tea sweet!)
2) Will it have the right amount of carbonation.

Only time will tell. It was bottled on 3/26/09 so I will have to wait on both.
I will write more when I test it.

Thanks to all for reading and helping.

Here's my recipe of Malzbier that I put together and brewed last year. Some sort of experiment.
5gal batch, 6.5gal boil
Wyeast 1084 fermented at 70F
Crystal 120L 1#
Crystal 40L 1#
Chocolate 350 1#
Briess aromatic 1#
Dextrin Malt 3#
Lactose 2#
Horizon 60min 0.5oz
Hallertauer 30min 0.5oz
Hallertauer 10min 0.5oz

Mashed at 152F for 60min. Lactose was added to last 10m of boil.
OG=1.038, FG=1.030, ABV=1%, SRM=28, IBU=40

If I would ever brew this again, I would cut the chocolate to half and add some carafa2 to reduce the toasted flavor.
Honestly, it didn't taste much like the brazilian malzbier. It lacks the caramel flavor I guess.
I still have few bottles and use the beer to marinate/cook.

Here is the recipe I came up with. I am interested in comments and suggestions.

Brazilian Malzbier

.5kg Carafa 2
.5kg Flaked Oats
.6kg Viena Malt
Rice hulls to keep things from getting all gummed up

2lbs/900g Bries Dried Malt Extract
12 oz/350g Lactose
3.3lbs/1.5kg Briess CBW Pilsen Light Malt Extract
1oz German Hallertau Alphe Hops
1/2oz German Hallertau Alpha Hops (last 15 minutes of boil)
1tsp Irish Moss

310gr Karo (for priming)

OG 1.055
FG 1.018 (I may have pulled it from my primary to the secondary too soon. grrr)

The color (solid black) and taste are right on according to my wife. The only two questions are:

1) Will it be sweet enough (This needs to be Coke Cola/Sweet Tea sweet!)
2) Will it have the right amount of carbonation.

Only time will tell. It was bottled on 3/26/09 so I will have to wait on both.
I will write more when I test it.

Thanks to all for reading and helping.

I'm trying to brew the same thing. Results?? Any changes you'd make?

Some good results? I want to brew a brazilian malzbier soon, any help please ...

I'm very happy because I managed to make a Malzbier much like brahma Malzbier. soon I'll post the recipe with pictures, but the secret is in after fermented the beer I added 80g of sugar per liter of beer and bottle. opening one every 12 hours until we arrived at the right point of carbonation then pasteurize the bottles. My wife loved it!

Malzbier

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20,00 L
Boil Size: 27,51 L
Estimated OG: 1,053 SG
Estimated Color: 32,5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18,2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75,00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3,50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2,0 SRM) Grain 76,11 %
0,30 kg Chocolate Malt (450,0 SRM) Grain 6,52 %
0,32 kg Special B Malt (180,0 SRM) Grain 6,96 %
0,25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2,0 SRM) Grain 5,44 %
0,03 kg Black Barley (Stout) (500,0 SRM) Grain 0,62 %
8,00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14,00 %] (60 min) Hops 13,8 IBU
7,00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14,00 %] (10 min) Hops 4,4 IBU
0,50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15,0 min) Misc
0,20 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0,0 SRM) Sugar 4,35 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale (yeast cake from prev. beer)

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4,40 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 8,80 L of water at 76,5 C 67,8 C

Fermented
7 Days - 18C
3 Days - 8C

Add 80Gr cane sugar/Liter and bottled.
open one every 12H, when it reaches the ideal carbonation, pasteurize

Marcelo, I'm curious about the FG on your recipe. From what I understand, malzbier has very little alcohol (<1%). 7 days fermenting with OG of 1.053, using around 7lb of 2 row, would seems to make a regular 4-5% beer.

That is why it is difficult to find information and get a recipe of Brazilian Malzbier . The German Malzbier is low alcoholic, but Brazilian Malzbier is a beer with alcoholic content of 4.7% and very sweet, unique style and the not well known outside Brazil. Very popular with the ladies.

interesting, I just checked Brahma website and you are right, it says 4.0% abv.
Someone have to tell the pregnant women in Brazil to stop drinking Malzbier :tank:, at least that is the myth I knew, they think it is a non alcoholic beer that helps with breast feeding:drunk:

Sorry to bring this back from the dead a year + later, but I'm curious to know how everything turned out. I'm looking to make a xingu clone, and would like to know your thoughts on how your recipe turned out... Since you said the brahma is pretty close to xingu. (I've only had the xingu, I don't think we can get brahma here.)

How did the karo work? I've seen brown sugar & maltodextrin (as opposed to dextrin malt) on the xingu clone that's circulating out there... Your thoughts on what would be closest for the xingu?

I will be force carbing, so if there is a significant character that the karo gave to your bottle conditioned beers, I will have to somehow work that in. Thanks for any help you can give me. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My recipe is very similar to the Xingu, I use it as a base to make malzbier, but, just brew the basic recipe and you will get very close.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/brazilian-malzbier-397468/

Karo, was the only source of corn syrup that once we found here in Brazil, and "Old School" homebrewers used to use to avoid citrus / bitter taste from the fermentation of white sugar.
It adds a bit of body and head retention, but not worth it! only use the Carapils and everything will be ok

Back