Time for a d-rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
Hi all

I brewed and all grain lager last week using wlp san fransico lager yeast.
I pitched slurry from.a 3ltr starter and fermentation was underway in 4 hours.
Its been in primary for 1 week at between 55f and 57f and chugging along nicely.
Looking at the carbody today I see that yeast activity is slowing right down with very little clumps moving around.
My question is, is it ok that I have now bumped it up to 62f for a d-rest for a few days and then I will slowly rerurn it back to ferm temps before lagering.
The yeast has now become quite active again but im wondering the d-rest is too early.
Any input would be greatly recieved.
Cheers

I think you'll be fine, although I would have waited longer. You don't mention what the gravity was prior to allowing your beer to warm up. That should be your key -- you want the gravity to be stable for a 3 day period. Keep in mind that a lager is going to take longer to ferment than an ale, due to the lower fermentation temperatures.

What was you're OG & estimated FG?

If you take a hydrometer reading and if your reading is showing 75% done then d rest. If not wait till it is or if you've gone beyond that then do a d rest.
You should be fine, don't sweat it

The og was 1.046 and estimated fg was 1.014 going by the least attenuation stated at 68%.
im completely forgot to take a hydro reading before the d-Rest and just had a guess that because the yeast seemed a lot less active than the previous 7 days.

Back