Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henson

Reaction score
Has anyone used an angle grinder to cut the top out of a keg to make a brew pot? If so, were you able to cut a fairly perfect circle?

Do a search on here. Many have made a rig to make a perfect circle while using an angle grinder.

I cut both of these with an angle grinder without a jig. I just measured 6 inches from the center and made some marks in pencil, filled them in to draw a circle and then cut. Like was mentioned, don't try to cut through in one pass. Go easy with it or you'll be going through alot of cutting discs. And make sure to get a flap disc to smooth out the edges.

image-90170811.jpg

image-1148816214.jpg

Has anyone used an angle grinder to cut the top out of a keg to make a brew pot? If so, were you able to cut a fairly perfect circle?

As mentioned, alot of people have done it, do a search!

I did it without a jig, and got a perfect circle.

I used one of the angle grinders from Harbor Freight!

21470_4370267387616_1422926160_n.jpg

You can also make a 'jig' with a simple PVC 'T' fitting from your local hardware store. Believe it's 1-1/4" fitting that goes right into the opening where the valve was. Simply remove the valve, push the PVC T in the hole, then set the grinder against one of the other ends of the fitting and walk it around. If you can hold the grinder steady, you'll get a perfect circle.

Also, use cutting discs MADE for going through stainless steel. They'll be thin (about .042" or .045") and say they're made to cut stainless steel. NEVER use one that was previously used on regular steel.

image-2923005936.jpg

I did these with a pneumatic cut off tool no jig, I used the guard on the tool against the rolled edge of the keg to go around. Just a tip, fill the keg with water before you cut it cause it makes it so much quieter.

I did these with a pneumatic cut off tool no jig, I used the guard on the tool against the rolled edge of the keg to go around. Just a tip, fill the keg with water before you cut it cause it makes it so much quieter.

Really helps if the top ring is actually still round. With a good number of kegs out there (and available to us) this is no longer the case. I did use the same method with a couple of kegs, and it works well. But having the PVC 'T' fitting on hand also helps out when the top of the keg is banged up.

Really helps if the top ring is actually still round. With a good number of kegs out there (and available to us) this is no longer the case. I did use the same method with a couple of kegs, and it works well. But having the PVC 'T' fitting on hand also helps out when the top of the keg is banged up.

Yep. I used my jig on the one above for a friend. It's not really obvious, but there was a huge dent at the rim at the top there. Freehanding this would have been a mess.

img_4354-52842.jpg

Yep. I used my jig on the one above for a friend. It's not really obvious, but there was a huge dent at the rim at the top there. Freehanding this would have been a mess.

img_4354-52842.jpg

Not obvious?? It's glaring right at me in that picture. :eek: It's almost like it follows me as I move too. :eek: :D I think the PVC 'T' fitting was under $2. Nothing else needed. No need to make anything to connect together, nothin. Pull valve out of keg, drop in short end of the 'T' and go at it. No extra tools needed to make it usable either. :D Plus, it's super easy to store.

Not obvious?? It's glaring right at me in that picture. :eek: It's almost like it follows me as I move too. :eek: :D I think the PVC 'T' fitting was under $2. Nothing else needed. No need to make anything to connect together, nothin. Pull valve out of keg, drop in short end of the 'T' and go at it. No extra tools needed to make it usable either. :D Plus, it's super easy to store.

That cut looks sloppy, but it's not. It's a perfect circle. I think there are just some weird lighting on it where the flap disk hit it.

That cut looks sloppy, but it's not. It's a perfect circle. I think there are just some weird lighting on it where the flap disk hit it.

I've seen far worse looking cuts. :D I usually hit mine with the highest grit level flap disc at the end. Mostly to protect my upper arms when cleaning it out after brew-day... :D

Golddiggie said:
I've seen far worse looking cuts. :D I usually hit mine with the highest grit level flap disc at the end. Mostly to protect my upper arms when cleaning it out after brew-day... :D

Oh, definitely. If you value your arms you have to smooth out the cut with a flap disc. I hit the top, the cut and the inside until I can run my hands and arms across it without feeling a snag.

I've found that using a jig makes my blade wander (4 1/2" blade wants to go in a straight line). Now i just draw the circle with the jig and cut freehand. Much better cut, just don't cut too deep on any pass. Takes 5-10 minutes including flap discing time.

I had to do this yesterday in fact, brew day coming up and the electric conversion of my main kettles isn't complete, so plan-B was to make a keggle!

Back