IPA recipe ideas needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDT

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I wanted to start branching out and formulating my own recipes. IPAs are my favorite style and I wanted to create a base line IPA and add different single hops for flavoring. To get an idea of which hops are to my taste, I would keep the malt bill simple and my gravity the same.

For example, using like a magnum or warrior for my bitterness addition and then using the different aroma flavoring hops late the boil and dry hop.

Shoot for 1.065-1.068 OG.

95% 2row, 5% crystal 20
Clean yeast like US-05 or WL001
Ferment times and temps the same.

Targeting around 75 IBUs for each brew.

So use like an ounce of Warrior or Magnum at 60 or 90 and then calculate the remaining IBUs for the respective hops.

What are your thoughts on this idea?

I would try using a set schedule for the later hop additions, ie 2oz each at 20, 10, flameout, DH etc and then add however much bittering hop you need to bring you to 75IBU

should provide more consistent means of tasting the flavor/aroma impact

I would try using a set schedule for the later hop additions, ie 2oz each at 20, 10, flameout, DH etc and then add however much bittering hop you need to bring you to 75IBU

should provide more consistent means of tasting the flavor/aroma impact

So use the amount of flavor hops as a constant quantity and build up the bitterness with mag or warrior.

Will say 1oz of cascade at flameout produce the same intensity of flavor as say 1oz of Chinook at flameout?

Yeah, I'd keep the late additions constant

The potency will def vary from variety to variety but it will give you a much better idea of the comparative characteristics of each strain IMO and will be a closer comparison than adjusting based on ibu/aa%

Back