3 15.5 kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyD

Reaction score
As the title states, I have 3 15.5 Sankey kegs, how do I go all grain from here...

Do I cut the tops of all 3?

Is 1 for water?

1 for the mash/lauter?

last for boil?

site tube? ball valves?

i'm a little confused, I just know I enjoy brewing, drinking and sharing....thanks

There are a ton of options. Think for a while before you cut. Some people invert the keg and cut the bottom so they can use the sanke opening as a bottom drain. My setup is more typical with the tops cut off all three. One is the hot liquor tank to heat and hold strike water and sparge water. One is the mash tun, which will typically have some kind of false bottom to help in separating wort from spent grains, then the last is the boil kettle. Sight glasses and ball valves are totally optional, but very handy.

Like I said though, there are a lot of options. Probably 10 different brewers will give you 10 different answers.

Questions?
  • What will your heat source be? Electric, Propane, Natural Gas, Nuclear Fission?
  • Have you looked at photos? Cruised the myriad of posts on the subject?
  • Looked at websites with pictures? Here's ours.
  • What's your budget? (Huge question seldom addressed)
  • How much can you do yourself?
Like aludwig said, you will get 10 answers from 10 brewers. That is why our company does not try to sell everyone on one method.

Here's what I did. I cut the top off of all three. As far as how to cut the tops off, there are numerous methods. I opted for an angle grinder and a cutting wheel. I had no trouble whatsoever making nice round openings. I just layed the guard on the grinder against the keg for support. As far as getting your fittings installed in the kegs, i had mine welded but the weldless fittings are another very good option also. To make life easier i put a combination sightglass/thermometer on my Hot Liquor Tank which holds your strike/sparge water. Also a 1/2 inch stainless ball valve. My boil kettle only has a ball valve. The third keg is still not being used. I use a 10 gallon round rubbermaid cooler as a mash tun. The cooler mash tuns will hold temps much better than a keg. I do plan on eventually going to a HERMS setup which will utilize the keg/mashtun but until then, the cooler rocks. Hope this helps, this forum is your friend as well as youtube:mug:

I got fittings and such here http://brewhardware.com/

My suggestion is go with inverted kegs, electric heat, herms coil in the hlt, dimpled and soldered or tig welded fittings. Sight glasses on hlt and boil kettle. You'll need a triclamp adapter and ball valve for all 3, and I'd put a ball valve on the pump output as well.

I plan on using propane, and I can build the rig myself, I do appreciate the input!

Here's what I did. I cut the top off of all three. As far as how to cut the tops off, there are numerous methods. I opted for an angle grinder and a cutting wheel. I had no trouble whatsoever making nice round openings. I just layed the guard on the grinder against the keg for support. As far as getting your fittings installed in the kegs, i had mine welded but the weldless fittings are another very good option also. To make life easier i put a combination sightglass/thermometer on my Hot Liquor Tank which holds your strike/sparge water. Also a 1/2 inch stainless ball valve. My boil kettle only has a ball valve. The third keg is still not being used. I use a 10 gallon round rubbermaid cooler as a mash tun. The cooler mash tuns will hold temps much better than a keg. I do plan on eventually going to a HERMS setup which will utilize the keg/mashtun but until then, the cooler rocks. Hope this helps, this forum is your friend as well as youtube:mug:

I got fittings and such here brewhardware.com

Thank you, as to aludwig as well, much appreciated

Whatever you do.. find a welding shop to do the cutting. I am all for DIY but a guy with a plasma cutter can blast through cutting the top and even your valve openings for PROBABLY 10 bucks a keg.

OHIOSTEVE said:
Whatever you do.. find a welding shop to do the cutting. I am all for DIY but a guy with a plasma cutter can blast through cutting the top and even your valve openings for PROBABLY 10 bucks a keg.

Or maybe a waterjet..

da347021.jpg

Back