Re-use Sanke Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So it looks like the beer gods have shined on me - I've landed several 1/4 and 1/6 barrel Sanke kegs to add into my collection. This is more just informational, but once you take out the retaining spring, all you need to quickly put a Sankey keg into use is McMaster #99142A590 and a cheap pair of retaining-ring pliers. I chose McMaster #57805A361.

517.jpg

It also helps to have something to push down on the spear when putting the o-ring in.
(try a golf ball and a board)

You're going to love the sankes. Have fun.

John Beere gettin' all fancy with the Sanke kegs! I still like the rings that came with the kegs. They don't leak and don't move once installed like those snap rings do. I have a lot of practice, but it takes me like 2 seconds to remove one and about 10 to re-install them now. I am just glad you are going to the Sankes... so much better than Cornys IMHO!!! Have fun, and maybe get a biggin' to ferment in... under pressure maybe? ;)

Hmm.. I've only done it on one batch (2 kegs) so far but haven't had any leaking. I'll keep an eye out for that. I've been looking into changing my fermentation around and like the idea of using pressure.. If only the Brewhemoths would fit into my fermentation chambers.. :)

Hmm.. I've only done it on one batch (2 kegs) so far but haven't had any leaking. I'll keep an eye out for that. I've been looking into changing my fermentation around and like the idea of using pressure.. If only the Brewhemoths would fit into my fermentation chambers.. :)

It really only becomes an issue when the o-ring for where the spear seats becomes compressed or dried out over time. If you keep the o-rings looking good, you shouldn't have any issue using the internal retaining clips.

All,

I have used a few of these methods too. ALWAYS use a golfball, screw driver handle, etc
to remove all of the pressure.I started out using the spiral removal/replacement method. Keep
in mind that if you use something like the kegman kit the thickness of the Snap ring matters!
I have had hit and miss results and sometimes have had to use 2 o-rings, YMMV!

http://www.kegman.net/categories/Draft-Beer-Parts-&-Equipment/Line-&-Equipment-Cleaning/KegMan-Kit/

http://www.brew-magic.com/keg_supl_index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can measure.. the retaining springs I reference (McMaster #99142A590) are the exact same thickness as the original spiral rings. Additional bonus is they are 10 for $8.39..

Latest posts

Back