Long secondary time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2pugbrews

Reaction score
I have a "Belgian Wheat" that has been in the secondary a little over a year. I know, I know Wheats should not have long secondary times but I had some health issues and just got back to this. My question:
I am assuming that there is not enough yeast to carbonate. I intend to add yeast with my priming solution. My HBS says to add the whole packet of Safbrew T-58. Does this sound right - I have seen someone here add 1/4 packet. I don't want to create bottle bombs. Whole packet or less?

More yeast won't create bottle bombs. Amount of carbonation is based on how much sugar you have, not how much yeast (beyond the fact that having no yeast will create no carbonation, of course).

Adding too much yeast might just give you more sediment in the bottle.

More yeast won't create bottle bombs. Amount of carbonation is based on how much sugar you have, not how much yeast (beyond the fact that having no yeast will create no carbonation, of course).

Adding too much yeast might just give you more sediment in the bottle.

Thanks. That makes sense. i was concerned because after between 15 & 20 batches I had bottle bombs in 2 separate batches. Don't know why

t

That's good information. My brother-in-law has a raspberry wheat that's been in the secondary for over a year and a half. He finally told me to just take it and bottle it. I'm sure it's still good!

Back