When to rack mead off fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
I added 5 pounds of blueberries to a 5 gallon batch of mead about a month ago. How long should I leave it on the berries?

well, 1 pound of fruit per gallon is a very low threshold. You'll get color, and some flavor...not tons though.

I usually don't go more htan a month on fruit, just because the skins can add tannins, and sometimes it just gets funky sitting that long.

You will get pretty much all the color extraction that you'll ever get within 5 to 7 days of adding the fruit. Flavors, depending on the fruit type, can take longer. But in my experience you'll get all the fruit characteristics that you can, and nothing more than additional tannins if you let the fruit in contact with your mead longer than about two weeks.

Thanks for the info guys. I already added pectin enzyme when I added the blueberries. I was thinking about adding a can of oregon canned blueberry to it when I bottle. Would it be a better idea to add it before I bottle and let it bulk age a bit? Also, should I use more than one can? I forget how many ounces they are each.

I knew 1 lb/gal was pretty low when I did it but they are locally grown and that's all I had.

Thanks again.

Back