QD's Experiences and Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simphoto02

WoodyBlue
Reaction score
Hey all,

Forum newby and kind of new to HBing. Brewed in college back in the dark ages (mid-late 80's). Now days is so much cooler. Better gadgets and better beer.

Anyway a gadget I need inout on are the Quick Disconnects offered out there.

I love the ones offered by MoreBeer.com. Despite the price I am leaning towards them for my brew kettle, pump and my Therminator.
MoreBeer.com's Stainless Steel ones
I just recently saw the plastic ones from Northern Brewer.
NortherBrewer.com's Plastic ones

The instructions for the Therminator REQUIRE tread tape when using metal threaded connections to help protect the units threads from grinding. I plan to use thread tape with either QD.

Question is what experience is out there with either of these?

Thanks in advance.
P.S. I did see the review on the morebeer.com fittings. that is why I am asking if anybody has used either and with what level of success and satisfaction.

Another option is tri-clamp fittings. They are about the same price as the morebeer stainless ones and are bomb proof. Source the adapters from KLG Stainless and the clamps and gaskets from morebeer.

I personally do not have any experience regarding QDs, but I can say that Lonnie made his Brutus 10 using quite a few of the stainless QDs available from MoreBeer and he absolutely swears by them. I know those will for sure by my pick when setting up my rig in the future.

Bobby, I was just looking at those. I am confused though. NOWHERE does it say they are "Food Grade" of "Food Safe" Is just being 303 Stainless okay?

I also like the Tri-Clamp fittings. I know they are used in commercial applications. Are there other sources for them? When i build my AG rig i would like to continue to use what ever I settle on.

So the plastic ones are out?

Yes- tri-clamps are available all over the place. Morebeer has them, Swagman here on HBT sells them, and they are available all over the internet.

KLG stainless is the cheapest though and they are very quality fittings. Look him up on ebay and send him an email with your needs. His prices from his store outside ebay are even better than listed. He is also the cheapest supplier of SS ball valves.

Bobby, I was just looking at those. I am confused though. NOWHERE does it say they are "Food Grade" of "Food Safe" Is just being 303 Stainless okay?

I found this on the web:

Many types of stainless steel exist. Most are magnetic tools steels known as 400-series stainless steels, which are unsuitable for use in brewing. The type of stainless steel used in brewing and fermentation equipment is the nonmagnetic 300-series.

Several varieties of the 300-series exist. Those most common to brewing are 304 and 316 stainless steel. Kegs are usually made from these materials. Both 304 and 316 have very good corrosion-resistance properties and are easily welded. Other 300-series metals are to be avoided for brewery use, especially 303. The 303 variety has much less corrosion resistance and is much more difficult to weld.

I wouldn't worry too much about "Food Safe". The 303 Stainless Steel quick disconnects will work just fine if you keep them clean and sanitize with a non acidic sanitizer. Corrosion is a problem for 303 Stainless Steel only when used in a heavy salt vapor atmosphere or with high acidity fluids, neighter of which are a factor when homebrewing. IMHO

Beats me, notice I was the guy talking about the brass ones from Mcmaster because you can't beat the value for what you get. The amount of brass that would contact wort is so minimal, I can't see paying the extra $25 a set for stainless.

Beats me, notice I was the guy talking about the brass ones from Mcmaster because you can't beat the value for what you get. The amount of brass that would contact wort is so minimal, I can't see paying the extra $25 a set for stainless.

+1 bazillion

I'll put in another plug for the brass ones from McMaster. Part number are here in Bobby_M's post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/mcmaster-quick-disconnects-55955/index3.html#post1375704

Another brewer here in town and I have been using these for about a year now with no negative effects. Like Bobby said, the contact time is very minimal and is limited to only when you are transfering the wort/liquor to another vessel. If money were no option I'd spring for the stainless clover QD's, but the brass fittings work great, the price is right and there is no harm to the beer.

Okay so Brass is cool. A bit of a corrosion issue i understand. Stainless is high priced but the 300 stuff is the best...

What about the O rings and leakage? do the Tri-Clamps beat them all for longevity? I assume they all work great right out of the box. What about long term. Anybody have one type and used the hell out of them and wish they had gone with another? I don't mind spending extra bucks. I just only wanna do it once.

Only had my McMaster Qds for like 8 months, no failures. I have never heard of one failing either, and know plenty of ppl are using them. BUT, consider that you can buy a whole new Male and Female brass QD set for $6? That is hard to beat.

I realize that SS is more expensive, but I am int he buy it once... camp. Tri-clamps have no moving parts and are just big chunks of stainless that you could beat a man to death with, sanitize with a simple wipe down, and use for brewing the next minute. These fittings will outlast me. The gaskets are about a buck a piece so that is cheap. I think I will replace my gaskets every year or so just because $11 on my rig is worth the peace of mind.

I don't like brass. I know it is fine to use, but I don't like the cut of its jib.

Boo ya:
CIMG2816.JPG

Just found some clamps on ebay. Also som fittings from KLG and some gaskets. Think i will settle on the Tri-Clamps. Any other good links or leads on Tri-Clamps?

Are you going with Tri-Clamps for "Sanitary" or "Food Safe" reasons?
Is there a difference in this case?

Primarily because they don't leak, they are bullet proof and VERY easy to clean and keep sanitized and the are use in virtually ALL commercial breweries, so the must be both "Food Safe" and "Sanitary."

Like I said before. I do not mind spending money on quality stuff. I don't like to get ripped off but I also don't like spending the money twice. These will be the foundation of my QD's in my AG set-up WHEN i build it, not IF. so I will start the necessary collection of these fittings now on a smaller scale and build as I find deals and have needs.

The only caveat to triclamps is that they're not exactly a quick one handed operation. If your make/break needs aren't all that frequent, it's not that bad. Since I batch sparge and have to move them often, I'd never use them.

Have an interest drop me a pm. Been using and building these for several years. Have an add on this board. There is one thing for sure they won't wear out least in our life time. I have tried about every quick connect out there and there is one thing they will sooner or later fail and leak.

Yes they are not as fast a quick connect but after using them you get pretty quick with hook ups.

Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool:

I only have one question and it is probably aimed at Boerderij Kabouter and Swagman.

Is the idea and design of "Tri-Clamps pretty much standardized? I see where there are a few manufacturers or Brands, like Cherry-Burrell and Clover...

Are these pretty much interchangeable or is there a HUGE proprietary difference?

I only have one question and it is probably aimed at Boerderij Kabouter and Swagman.

Is the idea and design of "Tri-Clamps pretty much standardized? I see where there are a few manufacturers or Brands, like Cherry-Burrell and Clover...

Are these pretty much interchangeable or is there a HUGE proprietary difference?

Sanitary fittings are a standard based on size. But when it comes to clamps there is another form built. If you thinking of buying used make sure the are sanitary clamps. There is another called I-line clamps and a lot of sellers don't know the difference. The are both sized as 1 1/2 but the I-line clamp won't fit a sanitary fitting. The difference is the sanitary clamps groove has a 1/4 flat area and the I-line has a 3/8 groove.

I buy used as of now to keep the cost down on the Tri's but its getting harder to fine good quality clamp used.

Dominus Vobiscum

Thanks!!!

You will be hearing from me

Sanitary fittings are a standard based on size. But when it comes to clamps there is another form built. If you thinking of buying used make sure the are sanitary clamps. There is another called I-line clamps and a lot of sellers don't know the difference. The are both sized as 1 1/2 but the I-line clamp won't fit a sanitary fitting. The difference is the sanitary clamps groove has a 1/4 flat area and the I-line has a 3/8 groove.

I buy used as of now to keep the cost down on the Tri's but its getting harder to fine good quality clamp used.

Dominus Vobiscum

Got some camlocks for the suction side of the system. Brilliant.
Not going back.

Yep, like swagman said, just make sure they are all "sanitary" type fittings and they will match.

I just used the setup I posted above for the first time yesterday and am extremely pleased with the tris. Easy to change, rock solid, and no leaks.

Never fails, I settle on something and then I can't find em. Got into a bidding war over som 1 1/2 tri-clamp fittings for 1/2 hose. Started at 40.00 got WAY OUT OF HAND quick. I bailed at 95.00. I assume the other bidder was a homebrewer too. Sorry for running up the auction dude. I needed them too. Just find them elsewhere i guess.
Swagman, Can you make the ones I lost? go to 1/2" hoses?

Wow.... I don't know how many you were bidding on but Morebeer.com has all the fittings you need.

KLG Stainless is the cheapest on the net. Just email Kevin (the owner) and he can get you some incredible pricing. I used a tri-to-female-NPT adapter and a hose barb-to-Male_NPT fitting to hook up my hoses.

Never fails, I settle on something and then I can't find em. Got into a bidding war over som 1 1/2 tri-clamp fittings for 1/2 hose. Started at 40.00 got WAY OUT OF HAND quick. I bailed at 95.00. I assume the other bidder was a homebrewer too. Sorry for running up the auction dude. I needed them too. Just find them elsewhere i guess.
Swagman, Can you make the ones I lost? go to 1/2" hoses?

If I read this right you would like Tri's with 1/2 hose barb fitting. That would be two half's with 1/2 hose barb, gasket and clamp correct?

I can make them but I don't like them for one reason is the restriction. When you restrict flow with a march pump it puts a strain on the pump. Thats why I use 5/8 hose.
But enought of that

A set of Tri's with 1/2 hose barb will run about 25.00 a set

Send me a PM

Dominus Vobiscum

Back