How do I cure aluminum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenanchor

Reaction score
So, I just got a new turkey fryer, and I'm stoked to brew out of it, buuut I also just read a post mentioning "curing" the aluminum before you use it. I know the whole controversy with aluminum and SS, and I've never had any problems, so I stuck with the aluminum. I really don't want to start having problems either, so am I alright to use the pot as is, or do I need to "cure" it...and how the hell would I go about this.

So, I just got a new turkey fryer, and I'm stoked to brew out of it, buuut I also just read a post mentioning "curing" the aluminum before you use it. I know the whole controversy with aluminum and SS, and I've never had any problems, so I stuck with the aluminum. I really don't want to start having problems either, so am I alright to use the pot as is, or do I need to "cure" it...and how the hell would I go about this.

Fill it with water and boil for at least 30 min.

I'm sorry, I'm afraid there is no cure if you weren't vaccinated beforehand and you're already showing symptoms. :(

Oh, aluminum. Sorry, I thought you said "Rabies."

Fill it with water, boil it for half an hour, then dump the water out. You'll have a nice passive oxide layer and your pot will be ready to brew with.

Also, I have both SS and Aluminum pots, and I love them both dearly. Don't let anyone tell you not to use Aluminum! :mug:

Ah that's good to know...I've been having brew withdrawal lately, so I was about to fill it up with water and boil it just for the hell of it anyway, but now I guess I have a reason. Yeah that whole Alzheimers thing is a total myth, if I don't remember drinking the night before it's not because I'm brewing in an aluminum pot.

Back