Mostly carbed in 5 days - bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
Sup peeps - should I be worried about bottle bomb with a Hefe that is mostly carbed after only 5 days in bottles? It has been H O T here last few days averaging in the high 80s
but I put one in the fridge last night and opened it tonight and its beer. Should I get these into cold storage ASAP or will they be ok???

NEPABREWER said:
Sup peeps - should I be worried about bottle bomb with a Hefe that is mostly carbed after only 5 days in bottles?
The two ales that I've had that were nicely carbed in 2 weeks ended up way overcarbed...and one of them did end up with some bottle bombs. I doubt you have much to worry about after only five days, but as soon as they're carbed the way you like them go ahead and put them in the fridge and you shouldn't have any problems.

You might get a better response to this question in the bottling forum, so I'm gonna move it there for you.

I have had beers mostly carbonated in five days without becoming bottle bombs. The taste always improves dramatically over the next few weeks. Start drinking them if you want, but try to save some for a while.

- magno

If its way over 70 theres a good chance the yeasties ate up all the sugar, especially considering that hefes are very non-flocculent and there was probably a lot of yeast in suspension to start with. If all the sugar is gone, there won't be any more carbing going on and bottle bombs shouldn't be a probelm

depends on how much sugar you added. Just because they carbed in 5 days doesn't mean they will explode. Also, as long as you had a stable FG for a few days and didn't overdo it with the priming sugar, you will be fine.

Those were all good replies.

As long as your FG was down low and you didn't overprime you probably won't get a grenade no matter how hot (within reason) the bottles get.:D

Once the carb level is where you like it then it's time for the fridge.:tank:

Back