Caramel/Coloring Malts for Belgian Dark Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have a wyeast 3787 yeast cake that is going to be begging for a very strong belgian ale soon. I have pilsen malt and an over abundance of Crystal 80.

I know that it is not typical, but do you think a nice belgian dark strong (OG = 1.090 or so) can be made with crystal 80? Maybe 7% C80, 12% sugars, %81 pilsen? Mashed low and long......I could add some vienna for complexity too I guess.

It might work. Achel uses a small amount of debittered chocolate malt for color, which is another option. It doesn't help you get rid of the C80 as much, but it might let you cut the crystal amount down to 3-4%. Anyway, it's an option. Then you can save the rest of the C80 for a stout or porter (yum).

I think it sounds great. Especially since you're not trying to wedge C80 in alongside Special B and Caramunich. In my experience, C80 lends a lot of deep caramel and faint fig/raisin without that burnt/roast character of C120.

I think it sounds great. Especially since you're not trying to wedge C80 in alongside Special B and Caramunich. In my experience, C80 lends a lot of deep caramel and faint fig/raisin without that burnt/roast character of C120.

I do enjoy C80 quite a bit. I will likely give this recipe, or something close to it, a shot.

I think this would work, but I agree with your idea to add a little Vienna for complexity. You don't want just high and low notes without the middle. You could also add some aromatic to fill out the mid-range.

I have been considering trying to do a dark strong using Vienna or even Munich as the base malt, but that's neither here nor there.

Back