Piney Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SloppyGriffin

Reaction score
I am looking for a hop that has a distinct piney aroma to it.From what I have read, Zythos has a slight pine aroma but I'm not sure if maybe the person who wrote that info thought it was only slight or if it really has a more "distinct" piney aroma. Anyone have any suggestions?

I find that neither of those give off a piney aroma though. i think they have more of a grapefruit scent to it.

Really? I'm just finishing one off that I hopped with Chinook and dry-hopped with Simcoe. Thought it was pretty piney. Interesting.

I get the best pine scent and flavor out of a hop shot. I get some pine out of chinook also.

It depends on how they are used (and how much are used) in a particular recipe that is suited to make the hops shine. One brewer can use these hops to create something fruity/citrusy while another can harness the pine much better.

But yes...

Columbus
Simcoe
Chinook
and even Centennial

...they are all at the top of the piney pack.

Also, try not to confused pine cone/needles with dank/marijuana notes... Some hops have both, and others have one or the other, or none.

Yeah, I've had cascade/centennial IPA's that taste of nothing but pine, yet mine never show any of that character. In the same vein, chinook gives little to no pine in my brews, only grapefruit, even in single hop IPA's, and Simcoe gives mildly sweaty passion fruit.

Always amazed at how process and water can affect flavor so much.

Then you just decided to ignore all the advice you were given here. Zythos is a blend of C-type citrus hops that attempts to replicate amarillo and cascade is the classic grapefruit hop.

Chinook is your archetypal pine hop, and simcoe is a catty, piney fruit type flavor/aroma. Columbus goes well with either one.

But i have used chinook and only got a grapefruit aroma/flavour. I will be using cascade as suggested by people here.i have a lot of summit/simcoe so maybe i will.use those in place of zythos but add them later in the boil to minimize bitterness. As for actual pine needles, i believe it would greatly decrease the amount of ph leaving it acidy and such. So you would have to account for that.

Back