What your pet peeve about Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WileECoyote

Reaction score
I would like to say its the washing and cleaning up everything after brewing, but then I think that isn't really it.

My pet peeve is, now that Im making good beer, I just can't afford to give some to everyone to enjoy. :tank:

Whats your pet peeve ?

Cheers :mug:

Bottling. Not really sure why either. The truth is, it usually doesn't take too long. I think it's the tedium of it.

Delabeling and cleaning bottles. I like having them in bottles, but its tedious. And of course cleaning/sanitizing equipment for brewing/racking/bottling. Its all worth it when you have the first finished product of the batch though.

Leaking kegs. I just refilled my CO2, and put it in the garage to carbonate one new batch. A week later my task is empty and my beer is flat. This seems to happen when I'm least expecting it.

My pet peeve is, now that Im making good beer, I just can't afford to give some to everyone to enjoy. :tank:

I give away so much beer. For New Year's, I'm putting together four-packs - for eighteen people! That's three cases of beer, if my math is right.

But its not a pet peeve, I like giving my beer away. :tank:

Lets see, pet peeve . . . oh I have one - how fast I go through PBW and how expensive it is.

Time. The more I brew, the more I want to brew even more. I guess that's the addiction part of it!

Epimetheus said:
:rockin:Best answer. All others are, well, secondary.

Secondary answer: "beginner" brew kits rarely include kettles. You START with a kettle, dang it. Plastic buckets and tubing you can get anywhere.

That is a good point , we bough a 120 dollar truebrew kit and we were pretty pissed it didn't have a kettle

The way I always manage to either 1.) make a huge mess or 2.) avoid a huge mess,l and feel great about it but somehow hours or days later SWMBO finds little hop or grain pieces in weird places.

I give away so much beer. For New Year's, I'm putting together four-packs - for eighteen people! That's three cases of beer, if my math is right.

Lets see, pet peeve . . . oh I have one - how fast I go through PBW and how expensive it is.

Know how we got around giving away our beer stock? Make a 5-gallon batch of Apfelwein. We bottled 26 22-oz bottles last night. Maybe half to 3/4 will go out as gifts for Christmas over the next few days. A big bottle of Apfelwein goes a long way and it's cheap. We spent a little more than $1 per bottle.

And the beer? Well, that's mine. And friend's, if they come to visit.

Leaking kegs. I just refilled my CO2, and put it in the garage to carbonate one new batch. A week later my task is empty and my beer is flat. This seems to happen when I'm least expecting it.

This...keezer issues are a PITA

Wasted beer, wasted gas, big messes...ugh

Glitches. Usually I roll with it when the unexpected happens, but when glitch after glitch piles up and makes a crappy brewday, it sucks.

Funny how the more I drink, the more glitches there are. I may need to study this further.

Glitches. Usually I roll with it when the unexpected happens, but when glitch after glitch piles up and makes a crappy brewday, it sucks.

Funny how the more I drink, the more glitches there are. I may need to study this further.

Yea, the issues I have during a brew day directly correlate to the amount of beer I have consumed. Like at midnight, drunk and pouring 5 gallons of work out of my keggle though the top into a funnel in a glass car boy since my siphon had clogged.

All the cleaning of every mind numbing little thing. But even moreso,not being able to afford to do 2 batches at once every time. It'd be nice to have more beer available more consistently. And I wish the lhbs would have the type & brands of grains I use for the same price or close as midwest.

My last batch had glitches due to poor cleanup from the batch before where I was a little hammered during cleanup time.

it's the opposite with me. the more I drink the less problems I tend to run into.

as for my peeve, not as much time as I would like. and milling. I have been using a Corona mill with a 2# hopper & can't wait to get something better.

LouBrew13 said:
Lack of help with any of it except drinking it. My friends and family are good at that. And give me my bottles back dammit.

I hear you on that one. Everyone wants to be a home brewer but nobody wants to be a home brewer. I've spent a few lonely nights in the garage over my kettle after "something suddenly came up" with my friends who want to brew beer. Never a problem when the beer is ready to drink though.

The feeling of always looking at new brewing equipment and gadgets and justifying why I should buy or build them. My rig is good but can't seem to shake the constant search for an improvement or good deal. Pisses my wife off too.

I would like to be able to afford to give beer away like that, money is just still a bit tight for us with this economy.

Cheers and nicely done Pappers :mug:

Ill drink to that :D

Cheers :mug:

Is it terrible I don't have a pet peeve with brewing? I love repetitive minutiae, what can I say?

The longer I brew and the more equipment I buy, I seem to have less and less pet peeves. If I had one, It might be brewing in the summer. I brew mostly lagers, so it's a pain in the ass with the heat. I have chest freezers for fermenting and lagering and when I hear the compressor cranking so much, I stress...My freezers are in a very hot area of my house in the summer. Other than that, it's all good.

Forgetting I've left a ball valve open on my kettle or MLT when pouring something in.

Lol. I do this waaaaay too often. Nothing beats the feeling of beer splashing on my feet when I'm racking to the bottling bucket.

phenry said:
Forgetting I've left a ball valve open on my kettle or MLT when pouring something in.

I've done this the past couple times I've brewed, but only when I'm putting water into the mash tun. Still sucks, but not as much as if it were wort :)

Not having enough time to get a consistent pipine setup. I would kill to be able to brew twice a month but I haven't been able to make it happen.

I am also not a fan of bottling. I only bottled my two first batches then switched to kegging. It took me two hours to clean, sanitize, and bottle my imperial stout last week. I guess it didn't help that some of the bottles from my first batch in March didn't get rinsed out before I stored them. Talk about a mess. Kegging is the bees knees.

Using a flat top stove instead of a nice gas burner on the back porch. I am gonna solve that after Christmas tho.

Back