California Hop Growers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteDog87

Reaction score
Anyone know of any Hop farms in California? I know that northern California used to be the hop growing capital of the US before they mechanized the harvesting process, which drove the farms to other areas; but are there any hop farms still operating in the area? Or in any part of the state?

I'm curious because I want to see what varieties they grow, which grow the best, what problems/pests/diseases they encounter, and what sort of climates they are growing them in.

I know that there are one or two hop farms in the Lake County Area of N CA. Ruhstaller Beer out of Sacramento made an all local brew with some of the hops this year. Check out their website and you might find more info.

I know that there are one or two hop farms in the Lake County Area of N CA. Ruhstaller Beer out of Sacramento made an all local brew with some of the hops this year. Check out their website and you might find more info.

Thanks! I'll check it out.:mug:

Subscribed.

Im going to build my first hop garden this year. Could use some input.

Look on the Russian River Brewing Co's website. They got a bunch from some place up in Lake County and talked about it on the blog.

A couple of folks are growing around Escondido. Got some Cascade from them, but can't remember the name.

Wow escondido!?! If I am not mistaken it gets crazy hot there over the summer. I wonder what varieties of hops they are growing besides the cascade that you mentioned? I would imagine they had to pick heat tolerant strains to grow well in that climate.

Bringing this thread back from the dead to add some missing info. I'm not affiliated but am going to be buying some hops from them soon.

www.hopsmeister.com Located in Lake County, both organic and certified sustainable. If you don't mind repackaging, the sell in minimums of 5lb pellets and 11lb whole. They are currently selling fresh hops as well. Hard to beat the prices from 8-15 buck/lb depending on organic or not.

Im going out there for a tour next week and to buy 10lbs of pellets. :mug:

We are growing hops commercially in Sebastopol now. There are a couple of other farms in Sonoma county as well. We'd love to give advice on growing hops in this area. Check out the website warmspringwind.com
We love to talk hops!
Mike

Hello,

If you, or anyone you know, wants to buy a 5-acre hop farm in Sacramento, California please let me know. I'm selling the land and all the hops infrastructure on it (poles/trellis system) for $339,000.

Best,
Paul
(916) 710-3561 cell/text

hopfarm01.jpg

hopfarm02.jpg

hopfarm06.JPG

hopfarm07.jpg

hopfarm03.jpg

Latest posts

Back