added Yeast Nutrient Still got rhino Farts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nico541

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast on 12/2. By 12/3 It putting off a very potent stench. I used the following ingredients:
5 gram packet Redstar Champange Yeast
5 tsp of yeast nutrient
4 gallons flash pasturiezed cider
1.6 pounds cane sugar
On 12/3 I added 2 more Tsp of yeast Nutrient and agitated it which I hope wasn't the wrong thing to do.
Any thoughts? advice?

Sometimes rhino farts just can't be avoided. It'll be over in a couple days.

I think I found my problem. My last batch I used Redstar Champagne and wanted to try it out again. Being kinda special I ended up grabbing Redstar Montrachet yeast instead lol. From what I have been able to find Montrachet is not a big fan of large amounts of sugar. I think this is why it is getting stressed, though you couldn't tell by looking at it. It has been fermenting like crazy since I pitched it. I guess people use Montrachet to make apfelwein but I am going to try and stop it before it gets too dry. Anyone have any recommendations on FG? I started out with an OG of 1.065.

I think I found my problem. My last batch I used Redstar Champagne and wanted to try it out again. Being kinda special I ended up grabbing Redstar Montrachet yeast instead lol. From what I have been able to find Montrachet is not a big fan of large amounts of sugar. I think this is why it is getting stressed, though you couldn't tell by looking at it. It has been fermenting like crazy since I pitched it. I guess people use Montrachet to make apfelwein but I am going to try and stop it before it gets too dry. Anyone have any recommendations on FG? I started out with an OG of 1.065.

I've used Montrachet and champagne yeast for apfelwein and it will ferment ultra dry so where you want to stop it depends on how sweet you want it. You could always ferment til dry then backsweeten as well.

Hey, kinda new to this myself, but my first batches of low-nutrient fruit from old orchards were gruesome with the rhino farts for a few days, and then it passed, and the finished product had no sulfur smell or taste. It seems to just be a phase some ferments go through.

Thanks for the replies. I'm really hoping the smell goes away by the time the cider is ready. It has been 3 days and while it has gotten a little better the smell is still pretty potent.

Got the rhino farts myself. Two days into fermentation and starting to get a very pronounced (but kind of clean) sulfur smell, but nothing like the awful rotten egg smell I was getting from my (failed) first batch.

Decided to toss in another teaspoon of nutrient since I was going to pull out the blow off tube and put in my airlock...not a wise decision with a healthy fermentation already going! I still had the blow off tube and stopper set up in my hand and had to jam it back into the mouth of the carboy because foam came shooting up like a geyser. It blasted through the blow off tube for about 20-30 seconds and then stopped.

Anyway, I don't really think I did any damage, and know understand rhino farts seem to be a common occurrence, so I guess I'll give it some time and see what happens.

Got the rhino farts myself. Two days into fermentation and starting to get a very pronounced (but kind of clean) sulfur smell, but nothing like the awful rotten egg smell I was getting from my (failed) first batch.

Decided to toss in another teaspoon of nutrient since I was going to pull out the blow off tube and put in my airlock...not a wise decision with a healthy fermentation already going! I still had the blow off tube and stopper set up in my hand and had to jam it back into the mouth of the carboy because foam came shooting up like a geyser. It blasted through the blow off tube for about 20-30 seconds and then stopped.

Anyway, I don't really think I did any damage, and know understand rhino farts seem to be a common occurrence, so I guess I'll give it some time and see what happens.

Guess I got lucky I added more nutrients early on second day and agitated it as well but thankfully didn't make a geiser.

Back