Settling Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravtheMav

Reaction score
Figure this is where a Q like this belongs. I am currently brewing a Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout with Vanilla. In the past I have had a little more sediment/yeast at the bottom of my bottles than preferable and am trying to avoid this.

I have moved my secondary into a tertiary fermenter to get even greater separation. My question is how long does it take to get the residual yeast to settle? Is it a couple of hours (its been about 12 hours now) so that I may be good already, or does really good separation occur only after days/weeks?

And yes I know things like Irish Moss would have helped, but too late for that. Thanks all!

If you can cd crash it for a few days that would take care of it, otherwise it could take a week or so.

Good to know; I live in TX and have a small freezer. Cold crashing is out so another week it is. Thanks!

Back