Do all wines clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick123

Reaction score
I have a blueberry wine that has been in a Carboy for about 6 months. There are very little lees and is very dark. I can't see through the Carboy.

This past weekend I added a clarifier to see if that would help. It made no difference at all.

Do some wines just stay very dark?

Which clarifier did you use? I cant think of a blueberry juice that's clear, but maybe it could be through the use of some sort of pectic enzyme or something along those lines.

I just finished a blueberry and sloe wine and I had the exact problem. If you didn't use pectic enzyme, it's probably a pectic haze. Very tough to get rid of post fermentation.

Still drinkable, just doesn't look as nice.

Dicky

The recipe called for 2.5 tsp of pectin enzyme.

I forget the name of the clarifier but it's the one with two small packages of liquid that you add to the wine. I have used them many times with no issues.

Wine taste great

Are you sure that the wine itself isn't that dark? I've seen Blueberry stay very dark in the carboy but have a better color in the bottle or glass. Is your condition cloudy/hazy or just dark?

Have you put a flashlight up to the carboy to shine thru? I can barely see the light thru my blackberry wine but it is crystal clear, just very dark

When I racked it this weekend I put some in a glass. It is an amazing deep purple color. It was not cloudy or hazy, just dark.

I did put a flashlight up to the Carboy and the light does not go through.

I would guess that if it's been in the Carboy for 6 months and after going through the clarifier it made no difference, it must be clear.

It Taste great.

its probably just the color of the wine, my red wine is like that too im sure blueberry is probably darker.

Back