Should i use my yeast slurry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
last week i brewed an APA. I prepared a large jar of boiled water in order to wash and reuse the yeast. I put the boiling water in the jar, covered with clingfilm(saranwrap) and left outside to cool. Predictably, the clingfilm popped with the temp difference leaving a hole in the cover for about an hour before i noticed. It was a cool winter night with a little breeze. i then went on to wash my yeast with this water and it is sitting in my fridge.

So my question is?

Should I use this yeast for my brew tonight or is it too risky?

Looks like time is short here, but if it doesn't smell bad and the color of the yeast isn't brown or funny-looking, it's probably okay.

It's usually best to make a starter with washed yeast - that way, you know for sure whether it's good before you put it in your beer. Cheers!

It should be fine. You will have many more yeast cells than anything else. Providing the yeast get off to a good start, nothing else will stand a chance.

Remember we sanitize, and not sterilize; it's basically to ensure the yeast population is much greater than anything else in there.

i like to get the yeast going at the start of the brew day so by the time i pitch it it, it's at full krausen.

Back