first time brew, need advice desperatly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSQ92

Reaction score
hey everyone,
first time brewing and ive got a few questions
the kit i got is called a grolsch style clone 1, and im using WLP830 German Lager Yeast.
i brewed 5 days ago and its been fermenting at 65-70 degrees, which i no is high for that yeast but the yeast was a couple of monthes old, i just moved it to my garage which is at 55-60 degrees, will the initial high temperature cause any problems?
also i want to lager the beer, but i cant find clear directions on how to without a keg, my plan is to move the beer to secondary in 2 or three weeks, then but it in the fridge at 35-40, for about a month, then add yeast and some malt and bottle, does anyone see any problems with my plan?
any advice is really appreciated, thanks

It was definitely a bit warm, and will affect the taste of the beer, but it should still be fine. Either way, it's too late to worry about that.

As for your lagering plans... no need to add additional yeast, but other than that, it sounds okay.

JohnSQ92 said:
wont the beer not carbonate if i shock freeze it without adding more yeast

As long as it doesn't actually *freeze* (and at the temps mentioned, it won't), the yeast will be perfectly fine. Better, even.

Back