Group buy in Chicago #2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmason1623

Reaction score
I am starting to run low on 2-row and Vienna. Last time it took us about a month from the initial announcement to everyone receiving their grain. I figure my supplies of 2-row and Vienna will last me about 4-6 weeks. Who's up for another buy?

Can you get any malt company they do distribution for? If so Im in for a bag or two of Best Malz malt.

any malt that they distribute except for Briess. No hops, spices, extracts, brewing accessories, etc.. Just malt (except Briess) and rice hulls.

I'm in for a bag of 2 row and maris otter. I'm also interested in some smaller amounts if anyone is willing to split some crystal, etc.

I'd be in for another round. Not sure what I need just yet but I figure about 2 sacks and probably split a sack or two of specialties if possible.

I am interested in participating. I will have to review my needs, but I can assure you that I will be good for at least 4 sacks myself and I have a friend who will be interested in a few as well.

for those who want to participate in a group but send me your email addresses along with your HBT username and you grain requests. Once I get the spreadsheet up online I'll send you the link. Hopefully by the end of this week. b-m-a-s-o-n-1-6-2-3_at_g-m-a-i-l_DOT_c-o-m. thanks.

For those who didn't participate on the last buy, delivery would be at my shop in the vicinity of Cicero and Grand aves in the city (60639 area code).

For those who didn't participate on the last buy, delivery would be at my shop in the vicinity of Cicero and Grand aves in the city (60639 area code).

I'm already having a hard time passing this up. Why'd you have to 10 minutes from me and on my route to Menards?

I have sent the spreadsheet link and the price list link to those who have emailed me. Remember that we're limited to grain only (but not Breiss). As always, check your portion of the spreadsheet regarding grain type, quantities and price. The pricing is based on a total quantity of 42 sacks which is the maximum allowed per pallet. Once we reach our target I will ask for a quote. Once the quote is received I will post it for everyone to see.

How far north do you go? I'm about 3 hours north of you and if the price is right for some 50# of 2-row, I might be interested....

As far as payments go, once everyone gets their requirements to me I will ask for an RFQ on all of the grain. I will then post the quote for everyone to see. Then people will send me their payments. Once I have received payment from everyone I will place the order and make the collective payment to the distributor. They will not deliver until they have been paid first. Payments can be made through paypal (the payee must pay the paypal fees), mailed check/money order or cash dropped off at my place. Did I omit anything?

avidhomebrewer said:
How far north do you go? I'm about 3 hours north of you and if the price is right for some 50# of 2-row, I might be interested....

Anyone who pays for their grain and is willing to drive to my place to pick up is welcomed to participate in the buy.

I've already put in an order for two bags with bmason, but I'm interested in splitting some crystal. Please let me know if you'd like to go in for a fractional amount.

I've already put in an order for two bags with bmason, but I'm interested in splitting some crystal. Please let me know if you'd like to go in for a fractional amount.

What crystal malt are you planning on? Depending on the roast, I might be interested in this.

avidhomebrewer said:

Just a reminder, the sacks of grains are 25 kg. or 55.12 lb.

I'm flexible. I was thinking an english crystal since I'm getting a bag of maris. Perhaps Crystal II?

I'm open to a split of caramel 10 and 60. Willing to take up to a half sack of each.

I'm flexible. I was thinking an english crystal since I'm getting a bag of maris. Perhaps Crystal II?

I am getting a sack of Maris Otter as well and think the Crystal II would be a good option. If you decide on that, I will certainly be interested in some.

My internet has been down all day so I haven't been able to enter info into the spreadsheet. Does any one happen to know approximately what our total tally is so far? I'm in for three sacks myself. Thanks.

It looks like we are still at 17 sacks confirmed, although I don't know if that includes samie85's request. There are a couple of pending, split sacks of crystal as well.

chiefkellen said:
It looks like we are still at 17 sacks confirmed, although I don't know if that includes samie85's request. There are a couple of pending, split sacks of crystal as well.

I'm not sure either but we need 42 sacks. We're not even half way.

Back