Does this recipe look ok to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balzern

Reaction score
Chocolate Porter Recipe

Grains
- 8 oz Simpsons Chocolate Crushed Roasted (412L)
- 1.5 lb or 24 oz Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal (160L)

Extract
- 6 lbs Liquid Dark Malt Extract
- 1 lb Dry Dark Extract

Hops
- 1.00 oz Crystal
- 1.00 oz Cluster

Yeast
- Wyeast 1338 European Ale
Extras
- 8 oz Hershey’s 100% Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

Please let me know what you think!!!

that's going to be extra-dark and very chocolatey. might even taste a little burned because of the c160 and the roasted chocolate. making a porter doesn't mean it has to all be dark. the main ingredient in my porters is pale 2-row grain

I would keep the chocolate at or maybe a tad more; no more than a pound. I would reduce the 160 to about 8 oz. You could always go with a pale dme seeing as you will get the majority of your color from the specialty grains. I've made porters with up to a pound of chocolate and they turned out great. Not burnt, not too dark, very tasty. I would opt to skip the cocoa.

All that dark extract has your grains in it already. If you want to use crystal malts and cocoa to make a unique recipe, use light or pilsen malt and those grains to avoid over doing it.
Just my humble opinion, but 1.5# of dark crystal for 5 gal is high

yeah i am going to use a light liquid malt extract and a light pale dry malt extract. also i decreased the 160 crystal to .5 lbs and upped the chocolate to 1.0 lbs. better?

Back