7th Annual Siciliano's Market Homebrew Day(s)!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Once again, it's time to start thinking about the annual Homebrew Day, sponsored by Siciliano's Market, one of Michigan's largest and best Homebrew Supply store (and more)!

This year is going to be a bit different. They are hosting seminars on Friday May 14th, and the homebrew party and other stuff is on Saturday the 15th.

Start planning your homebrew for the competition now, if you haven't already done so! They will start accepting entries on March 1st, and all entries must be submitted by April 28th. $5 per entry, 1 entry per family.

Details are not up yet, but there is a bit more info and a bottle ID form to be filled out at:

http://www.sicilianosmkt.com/

This is a fantastic time and I encourage anyone in the area to be there!

Once again, it's time to start thinking about the annual Homebrew Day, sponsored by Siciliano's Market, one of Michigan's largest and best Homebrew Supply store (and more)!

This year is going to be a bit different. They are hosting seminars on Friday May 14th, and the homebrew party and other stuff is on Saturday the 15th.

Start planning your homebrew for the competition now, if you haven't already done so! They will start accepting entries on March 1st, and all entries must be submitted by April 28th. $5 per entry, 1 entry per family.

Details are not up yet, but there is a bit more info and a bottle ID form to be filled out at:

http://www.sicilianosmkt.com/

This is a fantastic time and I encourage anyone in the area to be there!

I will be there as always.

I don't really have a beer that I would consider award winning at this time. I wanted to brew a Saison, but RL got in the way. I was also going to enter an American Stout, that mcstout and I brewed, but for some unknown reason, it never carbed. The temp has been warm enough, and I really doubt that I didn't get enough yeast from the primary. (although I admit there is the possibility)

I don't know whether I should add yeast and recap, or simply pour them all in a keg and add the yeast to that.

I think other than it's a bit sweet, it's not bad at all.

I also have a Centennial Blonde, but I am not sure if it's good enough this time.

Just called to order tickets and the Saturday party event is now closed for ticket purchases. They snuck me in, but they said that they cut orders off a few days before so they know how much food to buy.

The Friday evening seminars are still open attendance, though, so you can just pay the $5 at the door. I got a list of speakers so here it is:

Hop Farmer - Not sure where he is from, but might be the same guy that was there last year. he had some good info on growing hops at home, as well as some info on the state of hop growing in the state.

Uncle Johns Cider

Meadery (I didn't catch the name as I was busy trying to keep up with him reading the list over the phone.)

Rep from Sam Adams - Ok, I like some of Sam Adams beers, but I'm not sure what the rep will be discussing. Nonetheless, I speculate that there may be some cool swag available for attendees...

Last, but certainly not least, there will be a "Sensory Evaluation" program. This is where spiked beer can be smelled and tasted for off-flavors. This is the kind of thing that I've been wanting to do for a few years now. Finally is my chance. One could also get pointers and experience in this to bring back home to the local homebrewing club. I think it could be one of the most educational and interesting seminars they've had.

So there you have it. Sorry if you didn't get your tickets in time for Saturday. It truly is a fun time.

Apparently they don't update the website, just facebook.

Here's a poster with the details:

Sicilianos_Poster.jpg

Great time! Unfortunately (or fortunately) I had to drive myself, so I had to pace myself and ensure a safe and legal drive home. Even so, I got to taste a BUNCH of great beer and some other stuff.

Someone actually made "Red Hot" cider. Cider with Red Hot candy added. It was surprisingly tasty.

I missed some of the pro brewers who usually make it to this event. Maybe the competitions is getting to hot for them?? ;)

Also, not only did the best of show get to have their beer brewed at Hopcat, but Boston Beer Company donated a bottle of Utopias for the winner. The Rep from the company was a very cool guy who had just made his first batch of beer. Everyone in the company is required to brew at least one batch. His first batch was an "olive" beer. He said he used a whole pound of olives. Anyone care to volunteer to taste it?

Great time! Unfortunately (or fortunately) I had to drive myself, so I had to pace myself and ensure a safe and legal drive home. Even so, I got to taste a BUNCH of great beer and some other stuff.

Someone actually made "Red Hot" cider. Cider with Red Hot candy added. It was surprisingly tasty.

I missed some of the pro brewers who usually make it to this event. Maybe the competitions is getting to hot for them?? ;)

Also, not only did the best of show get to have their beer brewed at Hopcat, but Boston Beer Company donated a bottle of Utopias for the winner. The Rep from the company was a very cool guy who had just made his first batch of beer. Everyone in the company is required to brew at least one batch. His first batch was an "olive" beer. He said he used a whole pound of olives. Anyone care to volunteer to taste it?

The Red Hot Cider was Mark.

I should not have drove home. The end of that night is a bit, foggy. :drunk:

The Red Hot Cider was Mark.

I should not have drove home. The end of that night is a bit, foggy. :drunk:

I told you!

Lucky for me my daughter texted and said she was not feeling well, so I used that as an excuse to excuse myself a bit early. I'm sure if I had a driver, I would have partaked of plenty more and felt terrible the next day.

I told you!

Lucky for me my daughter texted and said she was not feeling well, so I used that as an excuse to excuse myself a bit early. I'm sure if I had a driver, I would have partaked of plenty more and felt terrible the next day.

I felt like hell but I still got up and did a 10 hour brew day, :rockin:

Back