Fermcap in the boil = Fermcap in the ferm vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I ask this because I chose to tone down my boil and use some fermcap in the boil (just because)

Of course the fermcap did its job in the boil, but how much of this transfers to the fermentation vessel? I know that it settles out in the trub, but I was wondering from the perspective of those who use it IN the ferm vessel to avoid monster krausen. I noticed in this batch that maybe the BoT might not have been necessary.

Is this due to the FC in my boil? Or do some add it in addition to the carboy/bucket?
-Me

Okay - Totally belay this question as it was answered for me this AM when I looked in on my beer.

Its a damn good thing Im using a Blow off... This is one of the worst blow offs Ive seen on my beer in present days. WOOOOOOOO THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD BEER!
-Me

Since I started using FermcapS I've had nothing close to a blow-off, figured it was transferred from the boil kettle. Guess I was wrong, I just got lucky.

in my experience, you have to use it every step along the way. In the starter, in the boil and in the fermenter. For some reason, the stuff just doesn't stick around.

Really depends on your setup. I built my boil kettle with a bottom drain so I have 0 deadspace going from the kettle to the fermenter, I don't have to use foam control in the fermenter. I still get kruasen but never a blowoff, even with my huge RIS (though that one was close).

I kinda had a feeling that the fermcap wouldnt have too much bearing on the fermentation frenzy of this beer. Good thing I opted for the BoT beforehand ;)
-Me

I haven't had blowoff the last two batches since I started using the FermcapS in the boil, but I have had a decent Krausen on both batches. If I had as little head space as you do, both batches would have blown off. I have way more head space than you though. I have a solid 5-6" of space in my conical. The only batch I've had blow-off is a hefeweizen, which most know are notoriously vigorous fermenters.

Back