Never realized how important fermentation temps are...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllGoNoShow

Reaction score
So I brewed the AHS sweet stout about 4 weeks ago and used 12 grams of Munton's dry yeast (OG-1.60). The batch fermented at a pretty constant temp of 65 degrees (stick on thermometer said 66)....and after 4 days it showed 1.30 (target is 1.22). I then checked again a week later, and still 1.30. Stuck fermentation?

So I repitch 6 grams of Munton's dry yeast 2 weeks after brew day and I never noticed anymore activity and sure enough I check a week later and it is still at 1.30. Figuring I just screwed something up I was going to bottle this weekend because it wasn't going down any but I got too busy and couldn't get around to it. Well over this past weekend the tempature here has warmed up to 70-72 degrees (stick on thermometer says 70) and yesterday by chance I look at the carboy and there is krausen again on the top and I notice it bubbling away (and it has continued into today). Now, I've always heard that 65 degrees is fine for fermentation, but apparently not! For all those beginners out there like me, take this as a lesson how important fermentation temps are...I will now always be shooting for 70 degrees or a littler warmer.

It all depends on the yeast strain. Some work fine at 65F throughout, some need to be warmer, and some cooler. For the strains I use most commonly, I ferment one at 68F, one at 66F, and one at 62F for primary and 58F for secondary because that is where they each work best. Always ferment at the temperature range recommended by the maker of the yeast strain and only warm it as a last resort if you get a stuck fermentation like you did.

AllGoNoShow said:
So I brewed the AHS sweet stout about 4 weeks ago and used 12 grams of Munton's dry yeast (OG-1.60). The batch fermented at a pretty constant temp of 65 degrees (stick on thermometer said 66)....and after 4 days it showed 1.30 (target is 1.22). I then checked again a week later, and still 1.30. Stuck fermentation?

So I repitch 6 grams of Munton's dry yeast 2 weeks after brew day and I never noticed anymore activity and sure enough I check a week later and it is still at 1.30. Figuring I just screwed something up I was going to bottle this weekend because it wasn't going down any but I got too busy and couldn't get around to it. Well over this past weekend the tempature here has warmed up to 70-72 degrees (stick on thermometer says 70) and yesterday by chance I look at the carboy and there is krausen again on the top and I notice it bubbling away (and it has continued into today). Now, I've always heard that 65 degrees is fine for fermentation, but apparently not! For all those beginners out there like me, take this as a lesson how important fermentation temps are...I will now always be shooting for 70 degrees or a littler warmer.

Did you airate it enough. It is generally a no-no but with 20 points left to ferment you might also want to hit it with some oxygen as well as repitch as the yeast will eat it up anyhow.

rehitting it with O2 at this point is a big no no. If it started trucking as you warmed it up, keep it at that.

Munton's isn't a real versatile yeast in my opinion. I could see it falter at 65F.

malkore said:
Munton's isn't a real versatile yeast in my opinion. I could see it falter at 65F.
I used it when I first started brewing and had no luck with it at all below 70F. I stopped using it in favour of Nottingham or Windsor, both of which will happily ferment at 65F.

+1 to each yeast having their own "comfort zone"

I used White Labs Edinburgh Ale on my Pecan Scottish ale, and fermented at about 70 room temp, or 72 internal beer temp..... Came out with weird banananana-y esters, and got a poor score because of it in both the Brewery competition and also our local club comp. I was very sad, because I thought I had done fantastically. Oh well. :(

I have had the same problem using Munton's Dry Ale Yeast twice. I also used it because it was recommended by AHS. I plan on no longer using it and giving a try to Safale S-04 and Nottingham as they seem to give better results (based on what others have told me)

bradsul said:
I used it when I first started brewing and had no luck with it at all below 70F. I stopped using it in favour of Nottingham or Windsor, both of which will happily ferment at 65F.

No wonder I had a stuck fermentation! Last time I use Muntons for my stuff.:drunk:

I'm no longer a fan of munton's yeast. I love notty though!

From Munton's Site:

For recipes demanding the use of sugar our Standard Yeast is ideal. If all malt brewing is undertaken we would recommend that you use our Premium Gold Yeast as our Standard Yeast will struggle to ferment some of the more complex sugars which are more prevalent in all malt recipes

For recipes demanding the use of sugar our Standard Yeast is ideal. If all malt brewing is undertaken we would recommend that you use our Premium Gold Yeast as our Standard Yeast will struggle to ferment some of the more complex sugars which are more prevalent in all malt recipes

No wonder this yeast has been strugling in my past two batches. 7 lb of malt extract must be to much for this yeast to take in! I wonder why AHS recomends this as their standard choise for most of their English Ale Malt Extract Kits. I am going to do my best to stay away from this yeast for now on... Plus this yeast cost more then buying a a packet of S-04 or Nottingham since you have to use really 2 packets to get the desired yeast cell count.

Man, you have to love that.

"Our regular yeast can only deal with kinda crappy beer. If you want to make good beer, you have to go with the pricier stuff"

TL

Well this really sucks. I just ordered 2 kits from AHS (Double Chocolate Stout and Oatmeal Stout), and the Double Chocolate had Munton's as a recommended yeast (which I selected because it was dry yeast). My basement is 60-65F most of the time and this kit uses 7lbs of malt extract. Now I'm rethinking this kit....

+1 for Nottingham, As far as dry beer yeast its my favorite- & Muntons Sucks for anything but the Mildest Brown at Ideal temps.

Keep Brewing !

Skal!

Jens

Back