Oak barrel with no hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newlander

Reaction score
I was recently given a five gallon oak barrel as a gift, but it has no bung-hole. Looking around I can't find any references to having to drill your own hole, and the only ones I can find with no hole are decorative (not water-tight). I'm not sure where it was bought, but it was probably in Virginia as that's where the gift bearer was coming from (I'm in Boston).
Does anyone have any experience with oak barrels coming hole-less? It would be nice if I didn't have to send this great gift back(I have a stout in secondary that I would like to christen it with), but if that's what needs to happen I would rather not ruin it.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldnt send it back! I would just drill the hole. Look at some other cask picks and do it. I'd make sure the stopper size you were going for fit the actual hole and I would try to not get the shavings into the keg (maybe drill it upside down). I've never used a cask but this is my impression. Please let us know about how the beer goes.

yeah just drill that baby, wash it out with water to get rid of any sawdust and to make sure its water tight and then go for it

you can prolly search BYO's website for instructions on conditioning the cask before you put beer in it.

basically a lot of soaking to swell the wood so it seals properly.

Back