RedHook Long Hammer IPA Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew hoperator

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Long Hammer IPA Clone? I have looked in the recipe database and the clone recipe books/mags and I could not find one.

Thanks

I think it's good for a 'grocery store' IPA, but JohnA111 is right. It's not a real high gravity brew, but IPA's arean't meant to be high abv.

According to the Red Hook Site, this one has an OG of 1.058, is 6.51% abv (so the FG is then 1.009 or so- 86% attenuation!), carries 38.5 IBU which come from Northern Brewer, Willamette, and Cascade hops, and uses 2-row, Crystal (no specification), and Munich in the grain bill.

...but IPA's arean't meant to be high abv.

Really? I thought that was one of the 'goals' of the original brewers when trying to make a beer that would make the trip from England to India.

Higher hops acting as a presrvative and higher alcohol content to also help in preservation?

Just what I've read on the origin of the style. I of course could be wrong.
Not 'correcting you' just questioning if what I understand is wrong.

Really? I thought that was one of the 'goals' of the original brewers when trying to make a beer that would make the trip from England to India.

Higher hops acting as a presrvative and higher alcohol content to also help in preservation?

Just what I've read on the origin of the style. I of course could be wrong.
Not 'correcting you' just questioning if what I understand is wrong.

I think it depends on what we each classify as 'high abv'. to me that's something 7.5% or higher. An IPA is typically below that. ANything higher and you're getting into IIPA territory.

You are correct in your thoughts regarding the origins of the style.

I think it depends on what we each classify as 'high abv'. to me that's something 7.5% or higher. An IPA is typically below that. ANything higher and you're getting into IIPA territory.

You are correct in your thoughts regarding the origins of the style.

Ah, ok. I didn't know there was such a thing as an 'IIPA'. I just assumed IPAs run high ABV than your typical Pale Ale, so I counted it as having a higher ABV. But I agree, it is whatever one classifies as high.

In the spirit of keeping this thread on track, here's my shot in the dark. It's simply based on the above info and a little experience. I don't know how closely it will compare with Longhammer, but I bet it'll make a fine IPA.

longhammer.jpg

Go Yuri! We have Longhammer on tap at a pub down the road and its much better on tap IMO. I think its lame that the guy just wanted help and all he got was crap. Thanks Yuri for sticking up for him.

Hey did anyone ever make Yuri's (or anyone else's) longhammer clone?

Quite a nice sessionable almost-IPA I have always thought; ie a decent pale ale with a good hoppy bite.

Just had some Long Hammer on Sunday and thought about trying to make a batch this weekend. I really get a lot of Williamette in the original. I may up it in the boil from Yuri's recipe or dry hop with it.

To get 86% attenuation I would mash at 148-150 for 75-90 minutes. Dry that baby out. Maybe even take a pound of base grains out, and use a pound of sugar in the boil.

The Pacific Ale yeast from White Labs (WLP041) may be the RedHook strain. I'd use it and pitch a good sized starter to ensure full attenuation. Failing that, the Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale would be a good second choice. A lot of the character of the RedHook beers comes from the English ale yeast they use which produces noticeable esters and diacetyl. If you use too clean of a yeast it won't be the same as the original.

To get 86% attenuation I would mash at 148-150 for 75-90 minutes. Dry that baby out. Maybe even take a pound of base grains out, and use a pound of sugar in the boil.

The Pacific Ale yeast from White Labs (WLP041) may be the RedHook strain. I'd use it and pitch a good sized starter to ensure full attenuation. Failing that, the Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale would be a good second choice. A lot of the character of the RedHook beers comes from the English ale yeast they use which produces noticeable esters and diacetyl. If you use too clean of a yeast it won't be the same as the original.

crap I was just gonna use that packet of Notty that EdWort sent me!

yeah, I brewed it on the 20th. It should be a good beer; not sure if it will mimic longhammer or not (won't know until it's been in the bottle for awhile, but I was happy with the hydro samples).

My efficiency sucks with AG, so the OG was only 1.042; but that should be okay -- probably will be nice and dry.

I'll keep you posted.

As Saccaromyces already pointed, you should take extra care to attain such high attenuation, which is really not that easy.

High pitching rate and long, cool mashing should help. I really wonder how they can achieve such high attenuation though, especially since the white labs Pacific Ale, which is believed to be Red Hooks', produces a quite malty brew, much more like an english ale. Maybe the Dry English ale yeast would be a better choice.

Also, the recipe posted doesn't have a 30 minutes addition. IMHO you definitely want a 30 minutes addition so you can really taste the hops.

Finally, I am surprised by the 38 IBU rating of Longhammer. I do remember this beer and it felt much more like 50-60 IBU's.. May be it is because the beer is so attenuated, it feels more bitter?
http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/Saccharomyces

Finally, I am surprised by the 38 IBU rating of Longhammer. I do remember this beer and it felt much more like 50-60 IBU's.. May be it is because the beer is so attenuated, it feels more bitter?

yeah, a lot of folks don't even consider it an IPA because of it's low IBUs

my beersmith does not have munich so the conversion was off. I manually did so.. let me know what you think:

Longhammer IPA Extract
India Pale Ale

Type: Extract
Date: 10/1/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Neil Natic
Boil Size: 2.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (4 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes: use pacific ale OR Nottingham not both!

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 70.6 %
2 lbs Munich Extract (10.0 SRM) Extract 23.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 33.5 IBU
1.25 oz Williamette [5.50%] (10 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
1.25 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1.25 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Pacific Ale (White Labs #WLP041) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Bitterness: 41.2 IBU Calories: 252 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.4 SRM Color: Color

Just got my grains and hops, and will be brewing this up tues. or wed.

I had to substitute the Northern Brewer for Palisade hops, that will be the only change.

I'm thinking of doing a 90 minute boil and adding the bittering hops for the whole 90 minutes, and upping the time ont the Willamette hops to 30 minutes to get the IBU's up to around 40.

Anyone see a problem with this?

Also will be using ringwood ale yeast #1187

Thanks

I dry hopped it last night and took a hydro reading. The sample tasted pretty close to longhammer, and the color & body was dead on.

If my efficiency didn't suck I'd say that Yuri's recipe is a keeper...

I'm bottling this weekend.

i saw someone reference this thread and i wanted to clear up the extract recipe... i will redo it in beersmith as the one posted is not really correct. I called my LHBS and they said they had munich malt.. they dont.. but i do hear that some online ones do.. i will try to repost the recipe in the event you cant get munich malt extract. Mine is about to be bottled and seems to taste pretty good. I am hoping for a great session beer or one that BMC drinkers can be converted with.

Longhammer IPA
India Pale Ale

Type: Extract
Date: 10/1/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Neil Natic
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs 15.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 65.6 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 29.2 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (10 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Pacific Ale (White Labs #WLP041) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Bitterness: 39.9 IBU Calories: 252 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.6 SRM Color: Color

The recipe used munich for AG but since munich extraxt is not readily available, would it be beneficial to purchase some and heat to 153 for 30 minutes, then wash with 170 degree water to use it? If you went that route, how much would you suggest? Would you cut the pale extract back any?

The recipe used munich for AG but since munich extraxt is not readily available, would it be beneficial to purchase some and heat to 153 for 30 minutes, then wash with 170 degree water to use it? If you went that route, how much would you suggest? Would you cut the pale extract back any?

Replace 2 pounds of the extract with 2 1/2 pounds of munich and 1/2 pound of crystal 10. Mash the grains in 1 gallon for 30 minutes at 153* (preheating the water to 167*F and dropping in the grains it should settle around 153*) and sparge with 170* water. It won't be a perfect match but I'll bet it makes good beer and the color should be pretty close.

nice! i basically did that on this batch. I only did 2 lbs of munich though. COOL!

Ok, Yuri's recipe that I brewed has aged pretty good now and I must say it's really close to Longhammer. The forward bitterness is a little lighter in this brew (not a bad thing), but it's dry like LH, and a darn good beer!

Thanks for putting together the recipe Yuri!

Thanks for posting this & updating us. I enjoy this beer quite a bit and will give this a shot at some point down the road.

Cool.

I made this about 2 1/2 weeks ago and just started drinking it. Damn is it good. And god I love force carbing through a keg.

here's what i ended up with as a recipe: (73% efficiency, 5.25 gallons)
10 lbs pale 2 row
1.5 lbs victory
1 lbs c-40

7.2 AAU Cascade (dry hop)
10.5 AAU Northern Brewer @ 60
6.4 AAU Willamette @ 10
3.15 AAU Cascade @ 5

US-05

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.010
Estimated ABV: 6.79

Finished primary after 9 days, kegged it and added the dry hop.

It's a little too carmel-y -- i'd drop that to a .5lbs for next time, and use some vienna instead of the victory, also finished a little dry, would like just a little more body on it; us-05 is a beast.

Back