Excessive heat, have I killed the yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNJC

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I put a beer kit into my fermenter last night. I have fitted a heating element with a thermostat into the fermenter and I have it set to maintain the temp. at about 24 degrees. When I went in to check on it this morning the temp was 28 degrees. At some stage during the process I must have moved the thermostat setting. Lesson learned, from now on check that every before I walk away.

The airlock is completely still (it was pretty quiet last night also). Have I killed the yeast ? If I wait a day or so and nothing is happening, is it alright to pitch more yeast or should I just abandon ship on this batch and give it to the garden ?

Thanks,
JC

havent killed it. Its just mighty warm for it.. Wait a few days see what happens

I would definitely give it a couple days. Also, as has been said repeatedly, airlock activity is no sign of fermentation. If you have a hydrometer you should take a sample to make sure that nothing is happening. If you don't have a hydrometer, get one, they're wonderful.

Finally, if you determine that your yeast are doomed, I think it would be fine to pitch another pack. Normally though, I don't think 28C (you meant celsius right? that's what I'm assuming) would completely kill the yeast, but what do I know.

Bah! Unless you're pitching the yeast at 48ºC and above, you're not going to kill the yeast. In fact, the directions on most dry yeast say to proof it at 40ºC (that's 105ºF for us Dumb Americans :D ) to let it moisturize. So yes, you're fine.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. This morning the patient, or at least it's air lock, is bubbling away as per usual (I know you have said that lack of bubbles is not necessarily a sign of fermentation but the sound definitely makes me feel better).

I am sure I will get to the stage soon where I spend more time drinking my beer then I do worrying about it.

Thanks again,
JC

Back