Brutus Ten metal question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
Building a Brutus Ten from mild steel and looking over the material list from my BYO. It calls out for stainless steel ½” Tee fittings and ½” Stainless steel couplings to be welded to the gas beam. My question is if you’re going with a mild steel frame can you still weld the Stainless fitting to it or should a different metal be used?

Yes, you can use stainless, and if you do the filler metal to use is 309.

You can actually weld stainless to mild steel with just about any filler for mild steel, but 309 filler is the best match.

Try staying with the same material as the gas beam though.

That’s what I wanted to do. Use mild steel on the stand and paint it, then on all the gas plumbing to the burners including the couplings welded to the mild steel use stainless and no paint. I just wasn’t sure if I needed to use/ do anything special at the mild/ stainless transition at the gas beam. Anyone got an updated/ clearer material list?

You are better off tig welding the fittings to the gas beam, and also the gas beam to the stand.
The welds will be less likely to leak if you tig.

Back