NanoBrewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good to hear. Just smelling the Zyphos vs. the Cascade, the Zyphos is a lot more citrusy whereas the Cascade is very piney. Should make for an interesting comparison.

I just brewed an IPA (Zombie Dust Clone) but with my own twist. It has 8oz of Citra and 1oz of Cascade. Smells awesome, bubbling away in the refer now, should be ready to keg in about a week and a half. Still not all the way to AG but will be soon. I call it Biker Dust :)

Edit: This was for a 6gal batch

As I started reading this thread and saw all the people who have read it say the same thing over and over about your journey , and now here at the end of my reading I see exactly why they said that this was inspiring . As we brew as weekend warriors and hold down full time jobs, and dream about owning our very own brewery's ,and now you have given insight on how you can accomplish this with hard work and determination . Thanks

As I started reading this thread and saw all the people who have read it say the same thing over and over about your journey , and now here at the end of my reading I see exactly why they said that this was inspiring . As we brew as weekend warriors and hold down full time jobs, and dream about owning our very own brewery's ,and now you have given insight on how you can accomplish this with hard work and determination . Thanks

Thank you for taking the time to read it. My intent is/was to show that it can be done without investing a lot of money.
I wish you good luck should you take the plunge.

I read through your thread and was wondering if you still have a full time job or does you nano brewery make enough to pay the bills?

I still work full time. I look at the nanobrewery as a long term investment and something to either fall back on should I lose my job or a retirement income producer. I'm hoping this summer to start breaking even but like I said it's more of a long term investment.

Congrats on getting this up and running. Sorry if this is a repeat, but what are your retail prices?

Do you discuss retail prices with your wholesale customers or let them handle that?

I've read roughly 3X markup on bars (you sell for $2, they sell for $6) and up to 33% margin (your selling price / 0.67) for beer stores, grocery, convenience stores etc.

Congrats on getting this up and running. Sorry if this is a repeat, but what are your retail prices?

Do you discuss retail prices with your wholesale customers or let them handle that?

I've read roughly 3X markup on bars (you sell for $2, they sell for $6) and up to 33% margin (your selling price / 0.67) for beer stores, grocery, convenience stores etc.

The only retail I have going at this moment is 22oz bombers at a grocery store. They sell for $5.95/bottle. That's about the 33% margin you mentioned.

I just read this entire thread well done you are an inspration ti me unfortunately you are about 3000 miles from me but would love it if you ever decide to ship

If anybody happens to be in the Sacramento CA area on May 18th you should check out the West Coast Brew Fest. I'll be pouring my beer there along with at least 60 other breweries.
http://www.matsonian.com/wcbf/home.html
Brewed a Belgian Pale Blond Ale today and it's looking great.

I'm in Reno and will put it on my calendar, but can't guarantee it. If I can make it I will pm you

WOW! what a read. I have spent the past three days reading this thread till my eyes hurt and finally here I am at page 110. Congrats on your brewery, I think you might have just talked me in to making the dive when everything is ready. Keep up the good work Hoss! Another thought I had is have you went to bars and talked to them about carrying your beer? Sounds like you can bypass the 3 tier bs system that they put in place since you are all 3. I have brought some of my beers to local bars and they are wanting to carry them. I figure once I have ten or so bars that are willing then I will get the ball rolling. For now I have 2 that will carry my beer once i am ready.

evancold said:
WOW! what a read. I have spent the past three days reading this thread till my eyes hurt and finally here I am at page 110. Congrats on your brewery, I think you might have just talked me in to making the dive when everything is ready. Keep up the good work Hoss! Another thought I had is have you went to bars and talked to them about carrying your beer? Sounds like you can bypass the 3 tier bs system that they put in place since you are all 3. I have brought some of my beers to local bars and they are wanting to carry them. I figure once I have ten or so bars that are willing then I will get the ball rolling. For now I have 2 that will carry my beer once i am ready.

Honestly, if you wait that long before you start, you're losing a lot of time and potential sales. The amount of time, money, and effort to get started cannot be understated. The red tape is long, and during the arduous road to licensing you will have time to approach bars for distribution. Having a timeline to actual sale will also separate those giving you lip service from those seriously interested in your product.

Just found this thread today, and made it all the way to post #803. It's 10:55PM EST, and I'm going to pick this up tomorrow.

Awesome thread!

Now that I'm caught up to post #1101, my only question for you, HBHoss, is: How much beer have you sold in the last four years?

I guess what I want to understand is, "if I live in a state where I can self-distribute, how much beer do I need to sell to break even?"

Honestly, if you wait that long before you start, you're losing a lot of time and potential sales. The amount of time, money, and effort to get started cannot be understated. The red tape is long, and during the arduous road to licensing you will have time to approach bars for distribution. Having a timeline to actual sale will also separate those giving you lip service from those seriously interested in your product.

Agreed. Go for it. It's like waiting to buy a computer. You just have to jump in and do it because there will always be a reason to wait for the next one.

Now that I'm caught up to post #1101, my only question for you, HBHoss, is: How much beer have you sold in the last four years?

I guess what I want to understand is, "if I live in a state where I can self-distribute, how much beer do I need to sell to break even?"

I honestly couldn't say how much you would need to sell because your expenses and overhead will be different than mine. As to how much beer I've sold, I'd have to go through my records but it's not enough. :)

HBHoss,
Do you mind posting a list of your sources for equipment and ingredients?

I get my stuff from various sources, but if I had to narrow it down I would say G.W. Kent for hardware as well as Foxx Equip. Co. Foxx you have to have a business license but not G.W.Kent. As for materials, my bulk grain, and some misc stuff, I get through Brewmaster in Hayward CA. Smaller orders I'll go through More Beer or other online company.

Had a great time at the West Coast Brew Fest. Good turn out and lots of compliments. It was good to meet a fellow HBTér.

Cody pouring.jpg

Booth at WCBF2013.jpg

WCBF2013.jpg

Great thread. I really want to do this before I am 30 and am planning it now, but I need to move out of Florida first. Thank you so much for posting your journey. I am glad to hear that this can be done with a 1 BBL or smaller setup. This thread answered many questions I had that a lot of books I have read didn't answer. From this it seems that it is cheaper and more economical to bottle your beer which I find appealing. I have a couple of questions that weren't specifically addressed.

1. How long does it take to go from grain to glass for your beers?
2. How much beer do you keep on hand at any given time?
3. Related, how much beer did you have on hand prior to starting?
4. Do you force carbonate your beer before bottling? If so, do you transfer into a
into a sanke keg and then carb? Also, how much would you say c02 runs you per
month?
5. How many types of beer do you make?
6. Did your electricity/water bill increase substantially per month brewing at this
scale?
7. Do you treat your brewing water, or is it good enough unfiltered.

Sorry for the overwhelming amount of questions! This thread is so inspirational, and I am so happy that it is working out so well for you!

Great thread. I really want to do this before I am 30 and am planning it now, but I need to move out of Florida first. Thank you so much for posting your journey. I am glad to hear that this can be done with a 1 BBL or smaller setup. This thread answered many questions I had that a lot of books I have read didn't answer. From this it seems that it is cheaper and more economical to bottle your beer which I find appealing. I have a couple of questions that weren't specifically addressed.

1. How long does it take to go from grain to glass for your beers?
2. How much beer do you keep on hand at any given time?
3. Related, how much beer did you have on hand prior to starting?
4. Do you force carbonate your beer before bottling? If so, do you transfer into a
into a sanke keg and then carb? Also, how much would you say c02 runs you per
month?
5. How many types of beer do you make?
6. Did your electricity/water bill increase substantially per month brewing at this
scale?
7. Do you treat your brewing water, or is it good enough unfiltered.

Sorry for the overwhelming amount of questions! This thread is so inspirational, and I am so happy that it is working out so well for you!

Thank you for reading about my adventure.
As for your questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
1. Anywhere from 2 weeks to a month.
2. I try to keep as little as possible so it depends on sales and how thirsty I am.
3. I don't think I had any in stock.
4. Yes and yes. I actually use corney kegs more than sanke.
5. I have about 6-8 in rotation but I'm constantly tweeking and changing recipes.
6. Not that I noticed. I don't have a water bill because I'm on a well.
7. My water is from 400 ft down so it's naturally filtered.
Good luck!!! :mug:

Congrats on the brewery and taking it to the next step. I am also thinking about doing the same thing here in Maine. Thank you for posting and sharing your story it has helped a great deal. I do have a few questions.

How hard was it to get your brewer notice approved? Did they come inspect the brewery?
It sounds like you got approve before it was complete.

I see it the TTB rule the brewery can't be located in any dwelling house. but that all I can find. Do you know if there are other restriction?

§ 25.21 Restrictions on location.
A brewery may not be established or operated in any dwelling house ....

Has anyone got approved using the attached garage or basement?

Did you have to get another license or permit to sell from another location?

What was the $400 upfront tax for?

Thanks Again Cheers
-John

Hey HBH, I know it is tourist season out your way and you now have some nasty fires to deal with. When you have a moment, let us know how things are going. I'm in the bay area every month for a few days, but I just don't ever have the time to drive over your way. I keep trying to find the time to drive up to Russian River for some Pliny, but still have not even made that trip yet.

Hey HBH, I know it is tourist season out your way and you now have some nasty fires to deal with. When you have a moment, let us know how things are going. I'm in the bay area every month for a few days, but I just don't ever have the time to drive over your way. I keep trying to find the time to drive up to Russian River for some Pliny, but still have not even made that trip yet.

I wish the fire was closer to him.:p It is right at our back door threatening to make a run on the 108 with winds today. Going to be a long interesting day.

Hey Hoss how is the smoke on your side anyway. I got about 100 yards of visibility now which is actually an improvement over earlier this morning and a huge improvement over yesterday. At the town hall meeting they made it sound like the fire was all but stopped in Groveland/PML. If this thing makes it to the 108 it is going to get really interesting.

I wish the fire was closer to him.:p It is right at our back door threatening to make a run on the 108 with winds today. Going to be a long interesting day.

Well looks like i'm the A-HOLE now. I hope you are not in those new evac's as this thing is scary as hell over here. Good luck Hoss and drop us a line and let me know how it looks in Mariposa.

Just finished reading from the beginning. Amazingly inspirational! I am related to several other home brewers through extended family connections and there has been talk about going a little more towards nano at some of the family get-togethers.

Sorry if this has been covered.

What were TTB's concerns as it pertained to having your brewery on your property?

Were there issues with your septic systems capacity... how far the brewery is from your home? Having an official "office" space, locked/secured finished product storage space, etc.?

Did you contact the TTB before doing any building or even spec'ing/planning the building?

Any updates? Great inspiration and great way to kill time at work.

One question what was your initial cost to start about?

Back