Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TNTgill said:
So I have read through this 32 page thread and have a quick question. Has anyone done this BIAB method? If so what size pot and how much water did you start with or did you also sparge. I always follow simpleBIABcalculator.com for water volumes and it says I need north of 9 gallons for this and it will not fit in my 10.5 gallon pot. Thoughts?

This is a huge amount of grain but I suppose you could do BIAB. I mean you don't NEED 9 gallons of water, it's suggested. I think you could do it

You could definitely do this with BIAB. I only have a 7.5 gallon turkey frier pot and sparge to top off the pot. I know, not truly BIAB (no-sparge BIAB) but it works for me.
I hoist the bag over the pot with a ladder and let it drip into the pot during the boil and then sparge with water so it just drips into the pot. This method has helped the past couple of brews.
I'm planning on brewing this with BIAB. If anything, i'll just sub for a pound or two of light DME to help with the grain weight. Although I've never tested the max volume of grain with my system. I've done 13 and 14 pounds before so I may decide to not use the DME and see how the full weight goes.

This is a huge amount of grain but I suppose you could do BIAB. I mean you don't NEED 9 gallons of water, it's suggested. I think you could do it

easy option, get a bigger pot =)

Other option, just add less water and use the same amt of grain. You may want a little DME or LME on the side incase your efficiency is lower than usual, due to the lower amount of water used.

Once your mash is complete, pull the grains and top up with the needed water to get 5.5 gal at end of boil.

I guess I should let you all know how the BIAB with 18.5 lbs of grain went. I could easily fit 7 gallons with the grain in my pot. After mashing and pulling the grains I sparged with 1.5 gallons and squeezed the bag fairly hard to end with 7.25 gallons pre boil. I don't have my notes with me now so I don't remember the pre boil gravity but the boil went very well and ended with 5.75 gallons of 1.094 in the fermenter. I actually overshot the gravity and volume which I am super happy about. It blew off (with 2.5 packs of s04) for 48 hours or so. I then rinsed the grains again added a few other things to the "second runnings" of my BIAB and made a second batch of something. 1.045 sg and around 50 ibu of citra goodness.

I BIAB'd this recipe. I compensated for a planned lower efficiency by adding another pound or so of Maris Otter, and ended up way overshooting my OG....10.5+% of delicious English IPA grains with American hops! I still have some bottles that have aged 8 months, and they're still delicious.

I did the same. 17 lbs MO 1.25 lbs Thomas Fawcett Amber and .25 lbs acid malt. Didn't need that much MO. I think I'll drop to 15 lbs next time.

Thanks for posting this recipe.
I made it as well but did 10 gallon batch, I used a little too much water so had to boill it down a little longer.
I didn't have every exact ingredient and used some extra hops. lol
but it turned out Amazing!
it was my 2nd try at all grain, and my 1st time using all my new homemade equipment.
very happy with it.
I bought enough grains, yeast and hops (lbs worth) to make this recipe like 4 more times.
I am not saying it is all I will brew but I love it so much that I want to keep doing it and perfect it.

if no one minds I would like to share this video of my experience.
Word of advice for anyone who does this beer, use a blow off tube right from the start!

(I have changed my fermenting chamber since and use a True RC Cola fridge I found for 50 bucks with glass door)

Last edited by a moderator:
I brewed this on Sunday, and boy did it look gorgeous after cold break.

I used ~ 19.5lbs 2row and 1.5lbs TFA on a 6.5 gal batch (always brew more when doing IPAs due to hop loss). Sparging was a bit interesting. I was only able to hit about 1.063 at pre-boil gravity (vs 1.071 target). I checked the runnings and found that they were still coming out at 1.035, so I sparged a whole extra gallon, boiled it back down, and nailed my grav over a 90min boil.

Really excited about this one. I've been wanting to make it for a while.

Just wanted to chime in on this one. Made the recipe as stated on the front page, and dry hopped with 1.5oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo.

I do not recommend using S-04 yeast. Even fermented in the low to mid 60s, there's too much fruitiness in this beer, and I don't think it dried out quite enough. It's not quite bitter enough, IMHO.

Few buddies of mine and I had it side by side with the real thing, and the color was right, the aroma was right, and the malt felt close, if maybe a bit too rich. If I had to do it again, I'd find a cleaner yeast and try to dry it out a bit more, and perhaps add a bit more Warrior in the early hop additions to increase bitterness.

I agree, it's a great brew, but maybe a little fruity. I wonder if the 007 like the op suggested would take care of that?

I agree, it's a great brew, but maybe a little fruity. I wonder if the 007 like the op suggested would take care of that?

Since making this 4 times and playing with a little extra hops here and there i used london ale yeast, witbread yeast and 007 they all are great beer in my opinion. Cheers

I brewed this on Sunday, and boy did it look gorgeous after cold break.

I used ~ 19.5lbs 2row and 1.5lbs TFA on a 6.5 gal batch (always brew more when doing IPAs due to hop loss). Sparging was a bit interesting. I was only able to hit about 1.063 at pre-boil gravity (vs 1.071 target). I checked the runnings and found that they were still coming out at 1.035, so I sparged a whole extra gallon, boiled it back down, and nailed my grav over a 90min boil.

Really excited about this one. I've been wanting to make it for a while.

Thanks, I'll have to monitor this more closely this time as my OSG was low last time due to too much sparge water - or as you mention not enough boil. I'll be working at this tomorrow. Did you measure your runnings at the end of the extra gallon?

I brewed this today, my first ag batch and ended up at 1.081.

I surprised at the people who do this as their first. It seems like an ambitious 1st whole grain due to the amount of grain, but apparently it works out.

I found this brew a bit challenging. I fly sparge and it seemed like I was fly sparging for about 2 hours or more. I also boil while I'm sparging. I was determined to get a better OSG this time as last time I was in the 70's. I took SG readings of of the runnings and pre-boil kettle and got 1.024 and 1.076. I decided to sparge a bit more until runnings were 1.021. This brought down the pre-boil a bit to 1.072? Then I boiled 90 minutes more and got 1.090, so I was happy.

As my OSG was so low last time, I didn't have any problems with blow off. I ferment in a plastic bucket and this time the bucket was bulging and leaking at all possible places the morning after. I moved this to a cooler room in the house and put in a blow-off.

I also used my homegrown hops. 4 ounces of Cascade instead of the 3 oz. of Simcoe. Smelled great.

Ill tell ya what, I was intimidated, but now that ive done it, i dont see why i would go back to an extract batch. There are so many resources, including this site that make it painlessly easy for a first timer.
I should say i mashed at 151 with 5 gallons and a quart, I got nowhere near that out and sparged with almost 3 gallons to get somewhere north of 6.5-7 gallons to boil. pre boil was 1.064 and i stopped colledcting sparge at 1.04ish. I could have and should have boiled another 10-15 minutes as i have slightly over 5 gallons. but all in all a great first all grain experience. thanks to the recipe and all the tips from experience on this forum.

2 days in the fermenter with an ambient temp of 65 I woke up to the fermentation at around 80 with a double pitch of nottingham. So watch this one close.

2 days in the fermenter with an ambient temp of 65 I woke up to the fermentation at around 80 with a double pitch of nottingham. So watch this one close.

same thing happened to me last time I did this beer.
I didn't have my refrigerator plugged into my temp controller because my basement has been so cold so I have just been using the heater to keep the temp raised.
so I went to bed then next day checked it and noticed I even forgot to tape probe to side of my fermentor. well after I taped it on (insulated) and let the temp reading settle it was 77* the fermentor war warm feeling even. :(
I quicky lowered the ambient temp by opening the door to the fridge because it was 50* in my basement.
it helped it a lot but I fear damage was done at that point.
the beer tastes good drinking it now but it is too sweet.
it never fully fermented out.

did the temp raising too high kill a lot of the yeast?

Brian4x4,

Your yeast did not die from the temperatures you mentioned; ale yeast usually don't die unless temp's are over 100F+ or from very high alcohol levels 10+%.

A low FG (final gravity) was likely could possibly be caused by low final temperature.

When yeast get near the end of fermentation; that is when you want a higher temperature for ales if your goal is to maximize attenuation (lower - FG). A great practice is to start fermenting cool 65-68 when pitching and keep cool for atleast 3 days before allowing the temp to slowly rise by about 5-7degrees. (temperatures vary by yeast strain). The higher temp keep the final yeast that are in suspension active enough to complete their jobs!

Other causes for poor attenuation (high FG) could be:
-poor pitching rate (use more yeast and ensure they are healthy)..try making a 1-2L starter
-brand of Extracts used or mashing at high temps 157F+
-multiple other tricks used to ensure yeast health...nutrients, oxygenation, etc

I drew a sample today and it is down to 1.011 I wonder if the high temp is to blame for this. It has a minute weird odor that just seems off, but again i know the yeast have more work to do. This batch is friggen hot. Hopefully the smell and most likely I know it will probably go byebye once I dry hop and give it another few weeks. This beer is either going to be epic, or its going to be epic.

Brian4x4,

Your yeast did not die from the temperatures you mentioned; ale yeast usually don't die unless temp's are over 100F+ or from very high alcohol levels 10+%.

A low FG (final gravity) was likely could possibly be caused by low final temperature.

When yeast get near the end of fermentation; that is when you want a higher temperature for ales if your goal is to maximize attenuation (lower - FG). A great practice is to start fermenting cool 65-68 when pitching and keep cool for atleast 3 days before allowing the temp to slowly rise by about 5-7degrees. (temperatures vary by yeast strain). The higher temp keep the final yeast that are in suspension active enough to complete their jobs!

Other causes for poor attenuation (high FG) could be:
-poor pitching rate (use more yeast and ensure they are healthy)..try making a 1-2L starter
-brand of Extracts used or mashing at high temps 157F+
-multiple other tricks used to ensure yeast health...nutrients, oxygenation, etc

thanks I am still learning and your reply has reminded me of something I forgot.
(it is always something with me haha)
I believe I did forget to air ate the wort by shacking the heck out of the fermentor.
Stupid me I always forget something then remember after.

the last 2 beers I brewed perfect in my eyes and they have been bubbling nice! lol
live and learn.

thanks for the tips!

This brew sounds like a real winner And I think I'll try this in 3-6 months. I just brewed my first brew and I'm pumped about getting it full circle.

Brewed this up a few days ago. I increased the grain a bit to account for an expected lower efficiency but came in at 72% for an OG of 1.084. I also subbed Columbus for the Warrior.

Still in primary but the color looks perfect. I put the wort on top of a WLP007 yeast cake from an IPA. Needless to say I had to attach a blowoff tube within three hours to avoid an explosive mess.

Thanks for the recipe and I will report back in a few weeks.

Update on my 1.090 OSG brewed a week ago Saturday. Last night the SG was 1.025. I usually ferment for 2 weeks, so it seems like I am on track. I gave the yeast a little shake and stir to keep them going. I was a little concerned as our electricity was off from Friday night to Monday night, so the brew has had some weird temperature swings from cold to hot - (no heat to wood stove heat).

It tasted fine, so if it doesn't ferment any more, I'll be OK. However, I'm shooting for the magic 25% or about 1.022 for the FSG.

Has anyone adapted this IPA framework to other hops and combos?

I'm thinking of creating a 60minute version of this recipe, with propotionally less 2 row and TFA malt, but with Citra, El Dorado, and Warrior hops.

Go for it! Continuous hopping is almost guaranteed to make for a delicious beer. I'm actually curious as to how it would behave in all hop-forward beers and even in some malt-forward like American Reds and Ambers...

Yeah, I've pretty much decided on it now. All I gotta decide at this point is whether I wanna use 1099 Whitbread again, or if I wanna go with 1056.

I've also thought about the idea of possibly pitching 50/50 1056/1099.

Alright, I just pulled my first sample from the keg (freshly racked, still not carb'd, but cold) @ 3wks (1.5 weeks primary + 1/2wk cold crash, then racked onto dry hops for another 7 days), and I'm at a loss for words to describe how good this IPA is. I mean, I knew it was gonna be good if it matches up to the DFH recipe, and sure enough, it does. This is by far the best IPA I've made to date, and is certainly going to spur a new style of IPA for me to start making.

OK, you are jogging my memory. I have to rack to keg soon, because I'm heading to Floriday tomorrow. I need to remember to throw some hops in the keg before I go. I'll be looking forward to drinking some of this. My last batch went in 2 hours at a Christmas party.

I'm heating up my mash water to brew this, as I type. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Has anyone brewed with with and without Thomas Fawcet Amber? None of my local stores carry it and I'm doing a 2G batch so ordering .5lbs online seems silly?

Has anyone brewed with with and without Thomas Fawcet Amber? None of my local stores carry it and I'm doing a 2G batch so ordering .5lbs online seems silly?

It's not the same beer without it. The TF amber and hopping are what make this beer unique IMO.

Put together a bunch of different beers, and order your specialty grains off the web, or order some equipment you've been meaning to get.

Certainly you can find justification to put an order in, right? :mug:

I've made it with amber crisp, the aroma seems spot on, but i have atleast a week or two to let it carb and taste.

BTW if ordering a half pound of grain seems silly so does a 2 gallon batch! Even 5 gallons doesn't seem to be a large enough product.

Depends on what you're looking for.. for what its worth, I did a 5 gal batch with crisp amber, and it turned out great.. not a clone though. From what I have seen the TF is a must to get the 90 min malt character. If you're just looking for good beer with similar hop character though, Crisp it up!

What would you guys think about using US05 instead of S04 to try to achieve a dryer finish? I love DFH 90m but I find it slightly sweet for the style...

In terms of drying this beer out, if you mash low and pitch a sufficient amount of WLP007 into well oxygenated wort, you should not have a problem. I put this beer onto a yeast cake of 007 two weeks ago. I transferred to secondary yesterday and the SG is 1.013 from an OG of 1.084. I was actually surprised to get that low given there is no sugar in this beer. Tasted great. I hope to keg it up next weekend.

Back