over hopped iipa how to fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrayne10

Reaction score
Here's my problem. I made a iipa with an estimated sg of 1.075, 12 gallons at end of boil. My plan was 2.5 oz nugget 16.1 aa% at 90 min and aiming for around 70 ibus. I took a reading during the boil and saw that it was 1.100 so I added 1.5 oz of Columbus at 60 min to add 35 ibus and .5 oz at 30. Now after the brew I did my gravity reading and it turned out to be 1.072. So I think I over bittered my beer. The ibus are around 100. I only used 5% biscuit and 95% two row and a 90 minute boil. Then I split the 12 gallons into two different carboys with two different yeasts. I was planing adding one pound of sugar to each batch around 1.020-1.025 to help dry out the beer. But now I am thinking maybe a 1.5-2 pounds of light dme to help with the extra ibus. My yeast is wlp 001 and the other is wlp 090 super yeast. Any input would be great. Sorry about the post on my phone at work.

If it makes you feel any better, there is basically zero chance you are anywhere close to 100 IBU's just using hops in a homebrew setting. Those IBU calculations break down in the higher ranges. Lots of IIPA recipes call for way over 100 "calculated" IBU's.

Personally, I'd just roll with it as is. 70 IBU for a IIPA would be on the low side anyway.

The most popular IIPAs sometimes hit well over 200 calculated IBU's but when it comes to tipping the bottles and feeling the hop slap, it ends up being closer to 100-120 which I think is a very delicious range for an IIPA to fall in.

It's preference, but I would let it ride and see what happens. What is an IIPA without a bite?

Personally, I would just roll with it. But if you really do want to tinker, then just use the simple chemistry formula c1v1 = c2v2. Where c1 is initial concentration of whatever you want it to be (say IBU's or even a percentrage) and v1 is the initial wort volume. Say you set c1 to 100 IBUs, set c2 to what you want it to be, say 70. Put in your initial volume and solve for your new volume. This is the amount of liquid you need to add. Obviously, adding plain water will dilute your wort sugar content as well, so you could create a new wort of volume v2 at the same gravity as your original wort to use as your dilution solution.

If you decide not to dilute your wort and just roll with it, I would definitely not add plain sugar as this will make your hops stand out even more due to the dryness.

I read "overhopped iipa" and then thought "well, that's impossible"

I know that isn't super helpful.

You've got two fermentations going- I'd say leave one totally as is, and add water or honey or DME or sugar or MORE HOPS to the second.

I read "overhopped iipa" and then thought "well, that's impossible"

I know that isn't super helpful.

You've got two fermentations going- I'd say leave one totally as is, and add water or honey or DME or sugar or MORE HOPS to the second.

I agree about impossible to over hop!!

That being said, I would wait and taste it when it's done.
If it's too bitter for you, time will take care of it.

I'm with everyone else. Overhopped iipa? Impossible. My ipa has a calculated IBUs of just over 100 and I've never had any complaints.

If it overhopped, I'll swing by the next time I'm in San Diego and take it off your hands for you!

Thanks for the responses. Sorry should of named the thread overly bitter. But I was just trying to get a game plan for my sugar addition. I wanted to hit a overall starting gravity of 1.080 with the addition of sugar. I just tried to dry out a Saison with out the addition of a secondary yeast(not sure which one wlp ?) with two doses of 4 oz sugar one at 1.020 and 1.012 and that seemed to get a much better attenuation than white labs said I would. still plan on adding sugar or dme. I understand that I can't get a super high ibu on a home brew system I just was trying to get a reference point. I still think that can make an overly bitter iipa and I am just trying to soften the blow on the bittering end. I still added hops at 10 5 0 and a 10 minute whirlpool with about 20-25 minute knockout. I am just worried about the bitterness with out the use of caramel malts. Hill house i was not even thinking straight so i think i will pick one and do dme and one with sugar, thanks for the idea. Again thanks to everyone for the responses.

Back