Cleaning bottles with oxiclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcp197

Reaction score
So, I just cleaned my first batch of bottles with oxiclean and rinsed well. There seems to be some white residue on some of the inside of the bottles. I'm guessing in the direction that they were laying. I've rinsed repeatedly to no effect. Has this happened to anyone else and will starsan take care of the problem?

Yes, it happens and the white residue is hard to just rinse off. When I need to really clean out my bottles (when i have new ones with the labels still on for example) I soak them in Oxyclean overnight, empty them and rinse them out, then soak them in clean water, again overnight. I never have any residue issues that way. The trick also seems to not let the bottles dry too much after the Oxyclean soak. Once the residue dries up and becomes clearly visible, it's hard to get remove. A mild acid like Star San will get rid of it though.

I don't soak my bottles for more than 20 minutes. Just rinse them well when you are done drinking. It shouldn't take long for labels to soak off in warm water and oxyclean. I use 2 buckets and alternate between them. Once one is filled the labels usually peel off easily in the other bucket.

Edit: I don't mean to say you shouldn't wash your bottles just that rinsing well as you empty them will make washing much easier.

I've noticed the film only once. This was also the same time that I didn't mix the oxy clean very well. I wonder if you get the residue more often when you don't disolve the oxyclean completely?

I usually add water and oxy clean first, stir well, then add bottles with no problems.

Back