A Kolsch To Convert the Masses....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schemy

Reaction score
I brewed a Kolsch a few weeks ago. Nothing special about the recipe. Pilsner, Vienna, Tradition....thats it. Controlled my fermentation temps well, and was patient enough to let it lager for a while. I took a keg to my Sister-in-Law's graduation party over the weekend, and it was a big hit. This is a Keystone, Miller Lite, MGD type crowd. I got several pats on the back about how good it was. Several questions about how hard it must have been to brew. Several questions about me brewing them some more of it. Needless to say I walked away with an inflated ego and a hell of a buzz.

I brewed a Kolsch a few weeks ago. Nothing special about the recipe. Pilsner, Vienna, Tradition....thats it. Controlled my fermentation temps well, and was patient enough to let it lager for a while. I took a keg to my Sister-in-Law's graduation party over the weekend, and it was a big hit....

I think it's funny how much sound and fury there is here over niggling little recipe details... when this is what really counts for making great beer!

Well done, sir!

Good work! It really is neat when YFS drinkers heap on the praise. I've had luck with Ordinary Bitters

I plan on bringing a Kolsch to a get together at my parents house next month. It's been conditioning for about a week, and should be ready for the party in late June. Last time I took a case of my Hefeweizen, and it was a hit with everyone that tried it. I've been asked to do a double batch of Hefe for the 4th of July picnic at my sister's house, so I guess I need to get started with that soon. For the record, my family are all die hard BMC drinkers, that normally won't drink anything else, even if it is available.
Congrats to the OP. feels good, don't it?

I'm drinking a very nice Kolsch (as I write this) that I fermented for three weeks and it's been kegged and on gas for a week. Very tasty and I can see why the BMC crowd would like it. I upped the grain bill a bit and it's at 6% abv. Mmmmmmmm.

Good job! It's always good to teach people that they are drinking piss poor commercial beer! Did the same thing last week, had a Munich Helles just ready to drink and my 24 year old son and his friends were hanging out drinking Busch Light (GAG!) and talking about Bud being a "pisser beer" (aka good in Boston lingo)

I pulled out a few of my beers and gave them to them explaining that this is a Light Lager just like Bud is, except Bud to save money uses corn (or is it rice?) to get the sugar to create the alcohol, thus making a very weak flavorless beer. Then explained that my beer is made with 100% barley, thus more full flavored even though just as light...needless to say they were all amazed how good the beer was. Unfortunately, it's not going to stop them from drinking that crappy beers though!

Bah, if they're happy with Bud, let them drink Bud. If you don't like corn- or rice-adjuncted beers, think of it this way: save the barley malt for people who appreciate it.

I'm transferring my kolsch today to a keg. Should be sitting somewhere around the 6% range. Pretty excited to try it.

I have a Kolsch going for a neigborhood deck party in late June. Should be kegged in 3 weeks or so. Kind of the same motivation, introduce some neighbors to home brew/craft brewing. Maybe be able to con one of them into helping me on weekend brewing days.

Latest posts

Back