immediate help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stooby

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a honey weizen biab brew. Just took a preboil gravity reading. It's 10 points lower than my expected gravity. 1028 instead of 1038. Since I add a pound of honey at flameout, should I just wait till honey is added & then take reading & add DME as needed to reach OG of 1048. Or boil longer?

I'm in the middle of a honey weizen biab brew. Just took a preboil gravity reading. It's 10 points lower than my expected gravity. 1028 instead of 1038. Since I add a pound of honey at flameout, should I just wait till honey is added & then take reading & add DME as needed to reach OG of 1048. Or boil longer?

Did you chill the sample before taking the reading? If the sample is over about 90 degrees, it will be notoriously inaccurate. Try taking another sample, and chilling it in the freezer or in a pitcher of ice. Then take the reading. This is assuming you used a hydrometer.

is your expected gravity your target gravity? if so, the honey will def run your gravity up...

chilled to 88 & forgot to use conversion calculator, now comes out to 1032. Not quite as bad, still not sure which way to boost it.

chilled to 88 & forgot to use conversion calculator, now comes out to 1032. Not quite as bad, still not sure which way to boost it.

Let's see- a pound of honey should have 7 points total in 5 gallons, and DME should have 9 points for a pound in 5 gallons.

So, if you add a pound of DME now, you'd be right about 1.040 for preboil. The honey will give you about 1.047 at the end.

If my math is correct (iffy), I'd add a pound of DME right now to the kettle with the wort.

Yeah, I didn't mean taste bad, just different than the original recipe intended. I think it'll be great. Again, thanks for the help

Back