Na Metabisulfate in blueberry wine question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akardam

Reaction score
Hello everyone! first time im making fruitwine..
so today crushed 4.7kg fresh-frozen blueberries in 10L of water.

Water in which I put half a Tbsp of Sodium Metabisulfate to:
1) 'sanitize' the water
and
2) to kill of wild yeast, etc. that may be in the mix of water-blueberry

Is this mind-scept correct?

If it is, then will this kill of the champagne yeast i am intending to add in a couple of days along with the sugar?

Thanks in advance!

I don't understand how much NaMeta you've used and how many gallons of wine you're making. Generally, you use 1/8 TEASPOON for 6 gallons of must.

at least with potassium (K) meta, 1 tsp is about 5.5 g, so you want about 180 mg per L of must to obtain about 100 ppm free SO2 (i think that's right.....), a good 'standard' amount to start with. 0.5 tbsp is (apparently) 1.5 tsp, so you used about 8.25 g for 10 L = 825 mg per L. that's over 4x the recommended dosage if my math is correct, and if Na meta powder is similar density to K meta powder. their molecular weights are similar enough for these rough calculations (190 vs 220 ish). the sulfite will dissipate over time, and your champagne yeast is far less sensitive to sulfite than the other microorganisms that may be present. i think at least some of this information is correct, so i am going to bed

thanks yooper and dinnerstick for your replies!

@ yooper: I did it waaaaay over your recommendation. I made 3.5 gallons (still soaking the blueberries in and will pitch in a couple of days) and I put 0.75 to 0.9 Tablespoon !!!! Did I royally screw things up?? Will this create off-flavours, lower the pH, or kill wine yeast?

@ dinnerstick: So 4x recommended dosage according to the 100ppm free S02 method.. Is there anyway to deneutralize the sulfite a bit since I overdid it? Or am i getting paranoid?

Cheers!

You can try stirring like crazy, more than several times a day, to dissipate the S02. I wouldn't try pitching the yeast for a few days, as it won't take off until a lot of the s02 dissipates.

Back