2 Brews 1 Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
So I want to brew a APA and an IPA from the same mash. APA OG 1.050, IPA OG 1.070. I have been reading Designing Great Beers by R.D. I think I have my formulas worked out, but I wanted to consult the board an see if anyone is or has attempted this. I know I will have to fill in the missing GU with DME, but Im having a hard time figuring my grain bill to get my total GU within reach. This is what I have worked out so far.

APA / IPA

50GU x 5.5 = 275 70GU x 5.5 = 385 Total =660GU

so taking the average extract of grain being 36GU, I started pluging in different starting gravities based on my own system usually giving me 73 % efficiency. I want to hit my IPA dead on, then add whatever DME to my APA that I need to get to 275 GU. Sorry this is a little confusing. Heres my grain bill so far with close to the #'s. Please feel free to make comments and suggestions on my meathod of thought.

MO 2 row - 22 #
Crystal 20L- 1.5 #
Bisciut Malt- 1 #
Carapils- 1.5 #
my DME has a 48 GU rating FWIW.

I've thought of trying something similar but I'm still dialing in my system. My only thought is that you will likely need to be flexible. Given that you don't know how your sparge is going to come off the mash in terms of GU points you will need to either monitor it with a refractometer and stop when you have enough for your IPA and either dilute it or boil longer to hit your target or shoot for a given volume, see what you have and adjust from there.

Oh one other thought. Since you will have a very concentrated mash your target efficiency may be off. The amylase enzymes are subject to a phenomenon called product inhibition which results in a slower rate of conversion. There isn't any way I know of to predict this so you will just need to try it and see what you get.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

I didn't make the fact clear that I will probably try to hit a 1.058 pre boil gravity with the first runnings being dedicated to the IPA. I just want to be able to get enough GU from my seconed runnings for the small amount of DME to reach my total for my APA. Anyone explored this type of brewing here ?

I did a batch like this some years ago, but I had a starting gravity of 95 and a second running starting gravity at 48... I ended up with a barley wine and a nice light pale. Stupidly, I did not record how much base grain I used. But adding some DME to your second sounds like a great idea.

cheers -p

Shameless bump ! Anyone not read this and have some advise ? Im attempting this this weekend.

Back