Weird (and probably dumb) question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about this last night and wondered if anyone had ever tried it. Let's say you are brewing 2 batches in 1 day. You complete the 1st batch and rack to primary. Instead of cleaning out the brew kettle (trub, hops, etc...) you add the newly mashed wort directly to it and brew as normal. Any thoughts?

It would defintely be lazy. I just wondered what would happen. If the hops from the original brew had been boiling for an hour, 30 min and 15 min or 5 min, do you think they would make that big of a difference in the new brew?

I think you could expect to extract some IBU's that weren't planned on from them. I also think you could probably count on some weird flavors from the vegetative mass from the hops, and the break material. It wouldn't be noticeable in a bigger/maltier/hoppy beer, but in anything light I bet you'd pick it up pretty quickly.

I wouldn't do it, just a quick rinse with the hose would take care of the mess before boiling your second batch.

Don't know if it would hurt anything but why take the chance?

I'd at least do a quick scrub and rinse with the hose to try to get the majority of any residue from the previous batch outta there. I do this and it takes about 2-minutes.

Also make sure to flush out any spigots, etc., where stuff can be hiding.

Overboiled hops are nothing you want in your beer. However, if, by chance, you were using whole leaf hops and if they happened to have a high AA content and IF the first and second boils were only 60 minutes or so....

In that case, I think it would be OK. You're not going to get much out of it though but I don't think it would make the beer taste BAD in that case.

Why would you not bother cleaning the pot? Not spic-and-span clean, but enough to remove the gunk at the bottom.

Would you pull dirty greasy dishes out of the sink to eat off of without washing? Or a dirty bowl for your morning ceareal?

The same rules apply ..

Why would you not bother cleaning the pot? Not spic-and-span clean, but enough to remove the gunk at the bottom.

Would you pull dirty greasy dishes out of the sink to eat off of without washing? Or a dirty bowl for your morning ceareal?

The same rules apply ..

I can't speak for OP, but I have most definitely re-used dirty dishes without washing. Dirty bowl for my morning cereal? lols.

I've heard of this practice before. Since it takes 60 minutes to extract AAcids from the hops, the Aroma or Flavor additions (15m and 5m) still contain a substantial amount of AA. Reusing this trub will allow for AA extraction of the late hop additions.

It's an old practice, and seems to be in an effort to save on hop supplies. As the other posters stated, you wouldn't be able to determine your IBUs very accurately. Then again, maybe one could just assume that the bittering AAs in the flavor and aroma additions are ALL still in tact due to the short boil exposure.

I wouldn't worry about "excess vegative matter". If a 60 min boil didn't hurt things initially, why would it matter to do it again? IF the hops are spent, they would just act as "spectator trub"... floating around with no effect.

I haven't attempted this.. just read about it. Do what you will.

I have no intentions of trying this, it was just something that popped into my head last night and I thought I would strt a conversation! Interesting opinions though.

Back