Odd question concerning lymph nodes and home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumpnzx3

Reaction score
Recently I have developed a swollen lymph node in my groin area. I've been married/with the same girl for nearly 4 years and only a couple other girls (all clean) prior to her- so I know it's not an issue of an STD. Cancer does not run in either side of my family. About a month or two ago I had bloodwork done (routine physical for work). Everything was normal. I'm not sick and I don't have any other issues that I am aware of. Is it possible that my last batch of beer could have had something happen to it? Some sort of yeast related infection? I know bacterial and viral infections can cause a swollen glands/lymph nodes- just curious if my beer could have done it. I just started drinking a different batch maybe a week or so before I noticed the lymph node. Any thoughts?

I figured it was pretty far fetched to assume it was the beer- especially since it (the beer) looked/tasted fine when I bottled it and after it aged for a few months. It's just odd that I feel great- aside from this third nut (nowhere near that big- just being goofy) growing out of my thigh. I've already got a call into my Dr. Hopefully he can get me in pretty soon.

I do have a cat.....well, my wife has a cat (I hate cats). She (kitty) hasn't scratched or bitten me any more than usual lately. Ahh well- it's worth a shot. I will mention the cat and my home beer to the Dr- never hurts to have too much information.

My wife and I did do a cleanse for about a month. We finished with that about 2 weeks ago. It wasn't one of those goofy things you buy at WalMart. It was raw fruits/veggies for three weeks then adding a little protein in the last week (eggs, chicken, fish). We were taking suppliments, but my wife is a D.C.- so we were using pharm. grade- not OTC junk that's cut with who knows what. I read the ingredients on those- pretty much ground up odd plants/veggies. No chemicals aside from the caplets. I will mention that to the Dr. also.

That the problem with people trying to be TOO healthy...they become hypocondriacs in an instant...;)

I've never taken a vitamin and haven't taken vaccines for 20 years. My blood work (minerals and vitamins) have been right in the center of their catagory every time, every year. :rockin:

Hmm... let me diagnose you. First I'll give you my qualifications: None.

Now, I'll give you my diagnosis: LET YOUR DOCTOR TELL YOU WHAT'S WRONG.

Now, give me your insurance card or just let me know what's up so I can bill the Fed for this one. :)

I do have a cat.....well, my wife has a cat (I hate cats). She (kitty) hasn't scratched or bitten me any more than usual lately. Ahh well- it's worth a shot. I will mention the cat and my home beer to the Dr- never hurts to have too much information.

I think he was referring to the ted nugent tune. sorry your kitty hasn't scratched more than usual....;)

How large is it and are you sure it's a lymph node? Is it mobile or fixed? Where is it on your body? Most likely nothing but most definitely something to see the doc for.
Sometimes people become self aware of things that have been present for years.... this dosen't seem to be the case but something to think about.

Maybe he was joking about the cat scratch, maybe not. However- cat scratch fever will make a lymph node swell.

I, as well as my wife (a DC) are pretty sure it's a lymph node- up high, on my inner thigh. She is also thinking it's possibly a femoral hernia. I read up on it a little- the type of pain and area that would happen in is correct. However, that rarely happens in men- usually women. It's pretty well fixed. You can move it to one side or the other by pressing on the edge. Maybe 1.5"x.75". I am waiting on a return call from my Dr. I called yesterday and left a voicemail on the office machine requesting an appointment. I guess I shall wait and see what the Dr. says.

A couple years ago I had a massive one in my neck cut out. Doctor said I got sick and it just got stuck in that state. Tested it for a cancer but none.

Betcha it's your parasitic twin.

conjoined_twin.jpg

Get that thieving mf'er outta there!

Dr agreed- no hernia, it's a lymph node. Currently, he's thinking Bacteria of some sort. He gave two plausable reasons. First one being- I never (or rarely) wear underwear (TMI- I know). He also (correctly) assumed that I, like most guys, wear jeans several times between washes. He said I could have ended up with some sort of Bacterial infection from that. Makes sense- balls sweat, rear end sweat.....you get the picture. I also asked about the beer. He said he'd never heard of that before, but he could certainly buy it. Yeast, is living. Something with that could have went haywire and given me some sort of stomach bug for a bit. Either way- he wasn't too concerned. He gave me an antibiotic for 10 days and wants to see me again in two weeks. If there's no improvement then he's going to set me up with a surgeon- snip out a little piece and test it to see what's up. He said I could pretty much rule out lymphoma since this single node was my only issue. The only other cancer'ish thing it could possibly be is testicular, and even that was doubtful since the boys seemed fine. I'm down with loosing a nut if it means living.

On to the humor section of the visit. No matter how scared/paranoid I am, my humor always shines through- so onto me and the Dr......
He's sitting on his short stubby little Dr. stool and wants me to drop trow- so I did.....ding ding all up in his face. Odd experience for me- my ding ding has been in a few faces before- but never a man. So, he's feeling around my inner thigh, then announces that he's going to check the testicles. I said the first thing that came to mind, which was: Go nuts!

Later on in the visit, he asked me how my bowel movements were- I said: fine. He then asked how frequent, to which I replied: Sir, I probably drop more knowledge in a day than most of your patients do in a week. He asked: Is that normal? I replied: For me- yes. For your other patients- I doubt it.

All in all- happy with the visit. He didn't seem concerned- so neither am I for the time being.

Sounds good but always good to have some reassurance. The first time I read this I got the impression that there was actually contact with his face during the penile exam...... I hope for everyones sake thats not true. :(

Back