Anyone Use Wyeast 1388???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcb317

Reaction score
I made JZ's Golden Strong a couple of weeks ago, fermentables were 11lbs pils malt, 3lb table sugar. I followed the temperature profile for fermentation, as laid out in his book pitch at 64 and ramp up to 82 over the course of 1 week.

Its been a little over 2 weeks and I checked the gravity last night, and its at 1.017. The beer is still very cloudy, but the krausen has dropped and there are no visual signs of fermentation.

Is it reasonable to assume the yeast is still working away at this after almost 2.5 weeks? The mash temp was low, 149F, so it should have attenuated down much lower than I am at now, recipe said FG was 1.007. Is this yeast slow or am I stuck?

I have a strong ale going right now with 1388. Same thing as you, but it was still going (1.016 down to 1.012) over the next week. I found it works like hell for a week or so, but than really slows down. Give it some time and check it again...you may not hit 1.007 exactly.

Mine cleared up nicely after about 2 weeks in secondary (after 4 weeks in primary).

Latest posts

Back