Cracking MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
So I constructed a new MLT out of the 10 gal thread so I could AG bigger beers. :ban: Just about 10 min ago I mashed in on Ed's Haus Pale. (I struck at 170 F and it stuck at 162 F which is about 10 F too HIGH!!!) However, when I dumped it in, it started to make this cracking sound. I've never had that happen before. Maybe I needed to preheat the damn thing or somehting. The wort's in there doing it's thing. I'm not going to check it now. However, I'm curious what happened! I'll let you know in about 60 minutes I guess.....:(

mine did the same thing last night. It bubbled a little on the inside as well.

I'm chalking it up to the high temp of the strike water and hope it was a "first time use" thing only.

FlyGuy - what's your thoughts?

Mine does that too, it's just the plastic and insulation expanding from the heat. It can be pretty loud though, I too was rather alarmed the first time I heard it!

I'd throw some ice water in, and get that mash down to temp.

thanks guys, i put three bottles of aquafina in there that were cooling in the freezer in prep for the ol' carboy in a tub/shirt/fan/frozen bottle dance. it up it just about 149 so i'm over now i'm under... whatev. i'm sure i'll drink it like an ugly baby and call it my own!!! haha thanks for the advice guys. :mug:

No worries -- many of them do this.

In fact, I just picked up a 2 gal beverage cooler for camping. The first time I filled it with COLD water, it made that cracking sound just like the first time I filled my 10 gal MLT with hot water.

It will probably never do it again. RDWHAHB.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back