Charity beer auction -- Is it legal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearymore

Reaction score
One of my neighbors asked me to donate some homebrews to the neighborhood's silent auction. The proceeds go to charity and I would not receive a dime. Can I do this legally. By the way, I'm in California.

http://www.abc.ca.gov/

You'll need a license to manufacture/distribute beer and the neighborhood association needs to have an "off-sale" license to sell the beer... they have special event permits but they all deal with on-sale licenses (not sure about off-sale licenses)

http://www.abc.ca.gov/

You'll need a license to manufacture/distribute beer and the neighborhood association needs to have an "off-sale" license to sell the beer... they have special event permits but they all deal with on-sale licenses (not sure about off-sale licenses)

So much for charity. I expected as much, but I didn't want to reply to my neighbor until I was certain.

Thanks.

You can give the beer away for free though, right?

This may be a little shady, but could you put the beer in the basket or something, and stipulate that you are bidding on the basket, and the winner of the basket will receive this delicious homebrew absolutely free! Loophole?:p

Maybe you shouldn't chance it.

What you can do is auction off a "Brewing Lesson" that includes keeping what they brewed during the lesson. This way you are not selling the beer but auctioning your time and ingredients.

What you can do is auction off a "Brewing Lesson" that includes keeping what they brewed during the lesson. This way you are not selling the beer but auctioning your time and ingredients.

Or similarly action just the ingredient's ( and if they ask nicely, you'll brew it up for them)

I say the auction will make more money if you offer to hand out free homebrew samples to everyone.

I've never been to a silent auction where free booze wasn't flowing.

Nothing primes the wheels of charity (and impulse buying) like a decent buzz.

Back