American IPA Quartermain's Gold IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapogorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
yep
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Very good!
Here is a IPA recipe I made recently, and it turned out very good.
It is on the low end of the guidelines as far as IBU, color and ABV which makes it easy to drink. But, is loaded with flavor.
It uses only "EL Dorado" hops...5 oz. of them! I used the hop bursting technique to keep the IBUs low and the flavor high. El dorado hops are very complex in flavor, as I am picking up mixed fruit flavors but none seem to dominate. I pick up hints of citrus and melon....something of a "not quite ripe cantaloupe" flavor, but it is fleeting.

Est Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.7 %
Bitterness: 45.6 IBUs
Est Color: 6.7 SRM

10 lbs Pale Ale Malt
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 20L
12.0 oz Carapils
0.8 oz El Dorado - Boil 20.0 min
0.5 oz El Dorado - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)
0.5 oz El Dorado - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 oz El Dorado - Boil 2.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale(1056) (Wyeast Labs #1056)

2.2 oz El Dorado [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 14 days

Mash Step
Dough in Add 8.1 qt of water at 104 F 20 min
Saccharification Add 10.1 qt of water at 209 F 154

IMG_0286.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you brewed this again or modified it at all?

I was thinking of brewing an El Dorado Smash since I bought a pound. I did a brew and mixed those hops with Amarillo and I wasn't a huge fan of it. Of course Amarillo isn't my favorite.

Have you brewed this again or modified it at all?

I was thinking of brewing an El Dorado Smash since I bought a pound. I did a brew and mixed those hops with Amarillo and I wasn't a huge fan of it. Of course Amarillo isn't my favorite.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I haven't been getting ANY notifications lately.

I have brewed this a couple of times...3 times in fact. The latest was modified recipe for an double IPA, 9 oz. of El Dorado whirlpooled for 30 minutes at 180*F. Holy **** was it bold!!!! Too bold for my taste buds.

I am going to brew the original recipe again in time, as I like it as is.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I haven't been getting ANY notifications lately.

I have brewed this a couple of times...3 times in fact. The latest was modified recipe for an double IPA, 9 oz. of El Dorado whirlpooled for 30 minutes at 180*F. Holy **** was it bold!!!! Too bold for my taste buds.

I am going to brew the original recipe again in time, as I like it as is.

Wow 9oz whirlpool at that low of a temp! I cannot imagine.

I may give this recipe a try.

Wow 9oz whirlpool at that low of a temp! I cannot imagine.

I may give this recipe a try.

I would like to hear from you if you do. The recipe is pretty simple, and the result is a super fruity beer.
A dough in step isn't needed though. I do it every once in a while to give me a point or 2 in added eff.

Back