LME gone sour, didn't realize and used it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbiLynn

Reaction score
Now I have 2.5 gallons of sour beer. I asked this question before but didn't get a serious answer, not a joke, I really want to know. If I weren't so worried about getting sick from it, it would be more palatable. It's like a rotten fruit kind of sour. Or like sweet iced tea that went bad, sat out in the sun too long. I'm guessing the ABV is around 5%-6%. High because after 2 weeks, it was so horrible that I added corn sugar, honey, and a little fresh yeast. To try and kill the sourness. Then bottled a week or so later and first one I opened gushed out. Yeah, kind of like sweet iced tea that went sour. Will the alcohol kill anything in it that would make me sick? Kind of reminds me of drinking Miller High Life in my younger years and that did make me sick.

Yeah, i'd say you've got a bacteria making it sour such as lacto or acetobactir. It's very common. The gusher helps to reinforce that diagnosis. Will it kill you to drink it? Probably not. Will it be gross and possibly make you sick? Yup. :D

Microbes,yes. But these are slimy,enzyme ridden sporatazoans. They form what looks like bubbly active mold colonies.

Just popped all the caps off the bottles, they are gushing all over the front steps. A dark-ish thick foam pouring out and the first one, after gushing, has white bubbly globs on top. I had heard about people making sour beers on purpose, but I don't think this is the way to go about it. Don't want to risk getting sick from sporatazoans. Should have just dumped and not bothered bottling, I guess. The taste of the beer wasn't even the worst part, the worst part was the after taste.

Your not going to get sick from it, but it sounds like you caught an infection. Time to sanitize the hell out of whatever that beer has touched or replace it.

Back