Kegs at scrap yard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lex990

Reaction score
ARe these worth fixing?? Can get em for about 5 bucks

image-4201066466.jpg

They don't appear to be in great shape at all. You could pick through ones that look better and give it a shot if they are cheap enough. Might cost what a refurb does in the end though.

Unlikely. I've never seen a used keg (filled with soda syrup) ever look that bad. My guess is they were used for something a bit nastier than soda.

Not unless tey have the dip-tubes, air tubes, lids, and posts.

These items are more than buying a used keg....

Look on ebay for kegs and then look at the cost of the components... You will find that to refurbush these will cost you an arm and a leg.

Lol thanks guys. Buddy was scrap yard diggin and sent me a pic of these. Lucky bastard did find two complete 3 gallon ball locks complete and perfect

I would at least take the posts off. They are expensive to replace, the keg shell is pretty useless in that condition. Maybe they threw them in a fire on purpose to burn the rubber off

That's a good plan JRems. Give they guy 5 bucks to strip all the posts and dip tubes. They should clean up nice, and you never know when you might need a spare.

IMO kegs are an investment in your brewing system. They are the last vessel your beer will rest in before you pull that first glass of your work. Those kegs look like ****. They are what they are scrap. Spend the extra $ find a better deal or you will be back on this site describing problems with off flavors. Just my .02

lex 990,

By the level of corrosion on the outside of these kegs, they were stored or contained corrosives and possibly other toxic substances. I would stay away from these, don't salvage posts, nothing!

DocDave

BTW Isurf, how are things on the island! I went to UTMB in the early ninetys!

They do look like some scrapper found them and threw them in a huge pile of scrap that was half metal with plastic, rubber, or whatever and burnt everything to just be left with the metal.

Back