Setup questions - Ready for 1st brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autospa

Reaction score
Hey all!

Great site here. I'm ready to do my first brew and want to start small. But, I'm a bang for the buck guy also. I don't mind spending a bit more for quality if it's worth it.

Where on this forum do you recommend equipment and supplies? Or does anyone recommend a place in Houston to buy?

I love bock especially so if that would make any difference.

Thank you for all your input!

Thanks for the reply Yuri, you saved me some searching. I didn't find that "sticky" so you were very helpful!

Looks like More Beer is the place to go!

I will look here for some good bock recipes. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks again!

If you're in Texas, I'd check out Austin first; lots of people like them, and you should get your stuff a bit quicker. Personally, I like Northern Brewer a lot, and they ship out pretty quickly. There can be a pretty wide discrepancy between suppliers, so shop around before buying (and some stuff, like propane burners, you can find cheaper at places other than homebrew suppliers).

When i first started brewing i used a huge 3 gal stock pot. I still use it to brew today. And i got a basic starter kit w/ some bottles and a kit and havn't stoped yet.

I say start small w/ a basic kit doing extract w/ specalty grains. Sence your in Tx i say make the hour os so drive and go to Austin Home Brew and get your stuff from them and support your lhbs. There good guys over there and will get you started down the right path. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php

Start drink beer w/o twist off so you can save to bottles.

But i recomend getting the bible (http://www.heartshomebrew.com/home_....31146*bS2of5&p_id=B103&xm=on&ppinc=dave2full)

So relax, and have a home brew!

Defalcos is the largest homebrew store in Houston. It is on Stella Link.

As large as Houston is, there are a few more, but I am not familiar with all of them.

:mug:

- magno

Try a all in one kit to start. Any of the aforementioned sites has them. Get a beer style you like and jump right in! If you get one of these kits, it will give you everything you need to make a good beer from day 1.

Back