Sanatizing solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawggy_Stile

Reaction score
Im using 1 Step, would it loose its effectiveness if I made a gallon up and stored some in a spray bottle?
Thanks.

You might be able to use a very mild solution of Clorox (sodium hypochlorite), which is also used to sanitize swimming pools at about 2-5 ppm.

You should probably be using the 1 step as your cleaning solution and either Iodophor or Starsan as a sanitizer. Starsan has a great shelf life when mixed as long as it's kept sealed. Go to the brewing network and d/l the podcasts on cleaning and sanitizing. I think they were Brew Strong episodes with the 5 star chemicals guy. Very informitive!

Just an FYI, One Step isn't considered a sanitizer by the FDA. I'd switch to a no rinse sanitizer like StarSan or Iodophor.

I know 1 step is supposed to be a no rinse sanitizer, but I don't trust the residue it leaves. So I use it for washing and use iodophor for sanitizing.

While One Step might not be recognized by the FDA as a sanitizer, there is no need to freak out about using it for now. I used it with about 20 batches of beer/cider before switching over to starsan and not one of them was infected.

That being said, you should just use what you have left as directed (so no spray bottle) and then switch over to something like starsan that does give you the convenience of spray application and longevity.

Back